What packages are needed for a cygwin build?

Help
Tom Kent
2005-10-01
2013-04-22
  • Tom Kent

Tom Kent - 2005-10-01

I'm trying to build from the source (7.6.0) under cygwin, and I'm getting an error in libtk.  I'm wondering if there is some dependancy that I'm missing. 

Here's the error:

make[4]: Entering director '/usr/src/brlcad-7.6.0/src/other/libtk'
    /bin/sh ../../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fPIC -g -o wish.exe   unix/tkAppInit.lo libtk.la ../../..src/other/libtcl/libtcl8.4.1a
    gcc -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fPIC -g -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fPIC -g -o -wish.exe   unix/tkAppInit.o  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib ./.libs/libtk.a ../../../src/other/libtcl/.libs/libtcl8.4.a -lz
    ./.libs/libtk.a(txWindow.o): In function 'Tk_DestroyWindow':
    /usr/src/brlcad-7.6.0/src/other/libtk/generic/tkWindow.c:1459: undefined reference to '_XDestroyWindow'
    /usr/src/brlcad-7.6.0/src/other/libtk/generic/tkWindow.c:1473: undefined reference to '_XDestroyIC'
    /usr/src/brlcad-7.6.0/src/other/libtk/generic/tkWindow.c:1445: undefined reference to '_XSync'
    ./.libs/libtk.a(tkWindow.o): In function 'Tk_MapWindow':
    /usr/src/brlcad-7.6.0/src/other/libtk/generic/tkWindow.c:1659: undefined reference to '_XMapWindow'
    .... and it keeps goign like this for pages and pages.

Any help would be much appreciated.  :-)
    Thanks,
    Tom

• Nobody/Anonymous

you're probably missing the package xorg-x11-devel
      and maybe more from the X11 category.

Also, you need to start X windows before running mged:
      $ Xwin -multiwindow -ac
      $ export DISPLAY=:0
      $ mged

ps: it is not secure to run X without access control (-ac)
      but it's good to try if things work...

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-10-03

Libtk is apparently trying to compile against X11, which you don't have installed.  You can either install X11 headers/libs, make sure they are in your include and libdir search paths, or make libtk compile in "windows" mode using native widgets instead of going through X11.  The latter is more involved and entails feeding libtk the right defines when it's compiling.  Otherwise, it's pretty straitforward.. ;-)

• srj55

srj55 - 2005-12-23

I installed Cygwin and compiled BRLCAD from source. MGED runs but not RT. It fails with the message "This application.. ..cygGL-1.dll was not found." Is this a linking problem? I have CygwinX installed and it works.

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-12-23

It does sound like a linking problem.  Amazing that mged works without the error.  I'd suggest trying to recompile with --disable-opengl if you can't locate the cygGL library.  You'll get the same functionality with --disable-opengl, but it will use a different display manager and framebuffer interface that isn't reliant upon OpenGL.

• srj55

srj55 - 2005-12-28

I recompiled it with --disable-opengl, the error is still there. The "missing" cygGL-1.dll is present in cygwin. It looks like it is the DOS PATH that is wrong, very confusing.

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-12-29

I presume you did run make clean or start over with fresh sources before recompiling?  Otherwise the GL symbols from the object files would have still been there.  There shouldn't be any need for OpenGL once it's disabled.

That said, what exactly is the error including the compile lines?

• srj55

srj55 - 2006-01-03

I did a clean install from fresh sources.
      Updated cygwin.
      Compiled with ./configure --disable-opengl --enable-optimized
      make, make install, etc
      put the PATH in place.
      MGED runs but not RT from within MGED.
      Pop up error message: rt.exe - Unable to Locate Component
      "this application has failed to start because cygGL-1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

rt.exe runs sucessfully in a command window with output to a file. cygGL-1.dll exists.

I can mail config.LOG.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I got the same message. As a workaround I just placed the .dll file in the bin-directory so that rt finds the dll. There were some more dll-files, rt asked for, so I put all of them into the directory. It works, but as I said it's just a workaround.

• srj55

srj55 - 2006-01-18

The workaround works fine! Thanks for the help. 

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks