Raytracing in 7.11.0 for windows

Help
2008-01-29
2013-04-22
  • Bob Anderson

Bob Anderson - 2008-01-29

I have just installed the latest version of BRL-CAD for windows (7.11.0). I placed the brlcan bin and lib directories in my "path" environment variable but for some reason, when I try to rt, rtarea, rtedge, or rtweight nothing hapens except a message on the command window that says "Raytrace Complete". Anyone have any ideas why, or is this just a problem with the latest release?

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2008-01-30

Bob,

How did you get a 7.11.0 compile of BRL-CAD for Windows (i.e. using cygwin or the studio files, and if the latter, which ones)?

The "Raytrace Complete" is of course bogus.  It just means that the command finished (and in this case probably just returned immediately with an error).  I've made mods to the current sources that will detect the failed process and tell you it failed instead of "Raytrace complete" but that of course doesn't solve the problem.  Your guess about the path not being set up correctly would be my guess as well, though the sources in SVN are being worked on and changed daily.  7.11.0 isn't a public release version -- more specifically, no odd-minor-number and no odd-patch-number release in the major.minor.patch format is a public release.  Odd numbered versions are for developers and testing.

Cheers!
      Sean

• Bob Anderson

Bob Anderson - 2008-01-31

Thanks for the info. I noticed on this website that 7.8 is the highest windows version available. It seems our IT guy may have jumped the gun when installing this version wherever he got from. I'll go back to 7.8 and await the public release. Any idea when this may occur? Currently we jump back and forth between windows and linux versions for shotlining and picture generation.

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2008-02-01

The goal is sometime in February but it's entirely dependent upon required tasks getting taken care of.  The tasks remaining for a release are always listed in our TODO file, which is continually updated.  You can view it on-line at https://brlcad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/brlcad/brlcad/trunk/TODO

Cheers!
        Sean

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks