How I installed on DEBIAN

Help
phats_O
2005-05-16
2013-04-22
  • phats_O

phats_O - 2005-05-16

How I installed on debian.

First, I downloaded the tarball from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105292&package_id=113559 . I used the gzip version but the bz2 version is just as good. (Same code, different compression.) Note that this is the linux - i386 ver. 7.2.4.
    If you're reading this post some time after it was posted, you should definitely make sure this is the most recent tarball by checking http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105292 . Be sure to match the appropriate OS/kernel with the architecture of your computer.

Next, I changed directory to the folder I downloaded the tarball to.
    cd /root/

Then, I extracted the tarball
    tar -xvzf brlcad-7.2.4_linux_ia32.tar.gz

This created a directory in my /usr/ folder called /usr/brlcad/ and extracted the contents of the tarball to there.

At this point, I went into the /usr/brlcad/html/manuals/ folder, and became very confused by the install.html file that is in there. No need for anyone else to fret over it,you can completely ignore this file. It is obsolete, or, at least, not relevant to this type (binary) of installation.

The very last thing that I did need to do was to add the /usr/brlcad/bin directory to my path.
    I found these instructions-

Updating Your Search Path

Bourne Shell (/bin/sh)
    If you are a Bourne Shell user (/bin/sh, generally the default shell on most systems), you will need to edit your ".profile" file, and modify the PATH variable to include the full path name of your "bin" directory (BINDIR). In the editor, look for a line that looks something like:
            PATH=/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin::

and add the path name of your "bin" directory after the equals ("=") sign. In this example, the new form would look like

PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin::

where the full path name for the "bin" directory has been added to the front of your PATH specification.

Then, you must run:  .   .profile

(dot space dot-profile) to have the Shell set up your new PATH specification.

I couldn't immediately find .profile , so I searched my harddrive for it, and found it as a hidden file in my /root/ directory. I enabled viewing of hidden files then right-clicked on .profile and chose open with Kwrite (is what I used, any editor should do) and made the change.

I didn't actually know I was done the install at this point, but I was:)

I could now go to a terminal window, type 'mged' and was good to go...
    Hopefully someone finds this helpful.

• phats_O

phats_O - 2005-05-20

I have found that I need to re-run '. .profile', everyday. This despite the fact that my computer runs 24/7 and hasn't rebooted during the night.
      Is this typical? Anything I can do to get the path change to be more pemanent, etc. ?
      PS. this software is great! I'm so grateful to the DoD for releasing it as open source, and for you guys who support and develop it.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks for the compliment and also for the detailed walkthrough for people running installing on Debian (though the instructions are not much different for any operating system.  I've added/updated more comprehensive installation instructions to the INSTALL file in the source distribution so that perhaps the process is not so opaque for others down the road.  Your comments would be quite appreciated.

As for walk-through, the only problem (as you found out) was with how you updated your PATH environment variable.  Your .profile will only get read out of your home directory and may be superceeded by a .bash_profile and/or .bash_login if you use bash.  If you didn't have one of those files in your home directory, you would/could have needed to make it.

If you use bash for your shell (which is most likely on Debian), then the following should work if you copy/paste it into a terminal shell:

cat >> ~/.bash_profile <<EOF
        export PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:$PATH
        EOF

That will append that export line to the end of a .bash_profile in your home directory (~ is a tilde, not a dash), creating the file if it does not exist.  Close the terminal window, reopen a new one, and you should see a usage message if you just type "rt".  Interested to know if that does or does not work for you.

Cheers!

• phats_O

phats_O - 2005-06-01

I'm sorry its taken me so long to respond.
      I am using bash, I did "cat >> ~/.bash_profile <<EOF
      export PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:$PATH
      EOF" as you suggested. I did not have any success with typing rt after closing the terminal and opening a second. I do have ".bash_profile" in my home directory that now reads: "export PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
      export PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:/usr/brlcad/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
      EOF"
      The quotes are mine.
      This may solve my problem, I'll let you know tomorow if I have to run '. .profile' again. On the other hand, the rt failure may be more significant than I understand.

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-06-01

Other than the fact that it repeats, the contents "mostly" look fine.  If you don't get any errors if you run '. .bash_profile' then all that's probably missing is to add the same thing to your ~/.bashrc file.  If you don't have a ~/.bashrc you can just copy the .bash_profile to it (e.g. 'cp ~/.bash_profile ~/.bashrc').

• phats_O

phats_O - 2005-06-01

OK, I copied the bash_profile to the bashrc, and as you predicted, that got everything working right. Thanks!

quote:
      I've added/updated more comprehensive installation instructions to the INSTALL file in the source distribution so that perhaps the process is not so opaque for others down the road. Your comments would be quite appreciated.
      :endquote

I'm going to take some time later tonight to take a look at this, and I'll let you know what I think. I'm not a software developer, so its nice to be able to give back to the developers somehow. Thanks again for your help.

• phats_O

phats_O - 2005-06-06

quote:
      I've added/updated more comprehensive installation instructions to the INSTALL file in the source distribution so that perhaps the process is not so opaque for others down the road. Your comments would be quite appreciated.
      :endquote

I apologize for my confusion, but I can't seem to find the exact file you refer to above.
      I looked at the install.html (.../brlcad/html/manuals/install.html) file from this distribution - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105292&package_id=113368
      7.2.4 source distro. and it is still the same as the one that is installed on my hd. I guess you meant a different  distribution, or file, maybe?

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-06-06

No problem, I should have been a little more clear.  There's a file named "INSTALL" in the CVS source repository (where the very latest sources of BRL-CAD lives).  That document isn't in the 7.2.4 or earlier binary distributions -- only source distributions.  You can view the INSTALL file contents in CVS through the web interface:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/brlcad/brlcad/INSTALL?rev=HEAD