rt in graphics window?

Help
2006-11-23
2013-04-22
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Just got brl-cad up and running on Suse 10.1.  From the documentation, it looks like I should be able to raytrace a solid in the MGED graphics window, but I can't seem to make it work.  I can raytrace to an x-window, although the window closes as soon as the raytrace is complete.  I raytrace to a file, no problem.  Any thoughts?

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2006-11-23

Congratulations on getting BRL-CAD up and running.  The reason the window disappears is because the default display window is a "non-lingering" window, which means it'll disappear unless you tell it to stay around (i.e. linger).  To do that, you can set the FB_FILE environment variable (e.g. FB_FILE=/dev/Xl or FB_FILE=/dev/ogll) or you can specify the linger option on demand using the -F option to rt (e.g. rt -F/dev/Xl or rt -F/dev/ogll).

That said, those options still render to a stand-alone window instead of the graphics window.  To render into the graphics window, you should be able to use the Raytrace Control Panel (available under the File menu) -- it's set to render into the graphics window by default.  Hope that helps some.

Cheers!
      Sean

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks for the info Sean, that takes care of my window issue, but I'm still having trouble rt'ing in the graphics window.  I use the Raytrace Control and set "Source" to the active pane and "Destination" to the active pane as well.  Raytracing seems to be running in the Command window, but nothing happens in the graphics window.

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2006-11-25

Hm, that sounds like a relatively new compilation problem of some sort then.  Do you know what your default framebuffer type is?  The command-line "fbhelp" command will tell you (something that looks like /dev/ogl or /dev/X).  The solution may be to disable usage of OpenGL and recompile.  That doesn't remove any functionality and if /dev/ogl is your default framebuffer type, that could help towards explaining the cause of the bug and give you an equivalent X11 framebuffer overlay that you can raytrace into.

Cheers!
          Sean

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks