g-stl help

Help
Demian
2010-12-19
2013-04-22
  • Demian

Demian - 2010-12-19

Hey, I'm probably not understanding something fully right, so a pointer would be helpful.

I'm basically trying to convert a DXF to STL, using BRL-CAD (because I can't find other tools to do it, at first glance, it's a bit of a mess).

I used:   dxf-g input.dxf temp.g
    which goes well.

Then I try g-stl -o output.stl temp.g   
    which fails because it seems to need an object? I don't actually know what kind of object it talks about though, and the conversion manual doesn't seem to elaborate on this.

Help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's a stupid question, but i'm nevertheless hoping for a nice answer. :)

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2011-01-05

It's wanting the name of the geometry object to export.  The DXF file contained various object(s) so when you convert to a format such as STL that only supports one object, you have to specify which one you want to export.

More than likely, you'll want one of the top-level objects that you imported.  You can get that list of object name(s) with the "tops" command:  mged temp.g tops

Then re-run g-stl providing that object name: g-stl -o output.stl temp.g OBJECT

Cheers!
    Sean