Mac OS X not updated in two years?

Mike Feher
2010-09-21
2013-04-22
  • Mike Feher

Mike Feher - 2010-09-21

Greetings,

As a casual user of MGED/BRL-CAD but with an interest in keeping up my skills, I'd like to install it on my iMac at home (running Snow Leopard).  I could certainly update my home PC and be more current, but I'm trying to migrate away from my PC.  Two questions:

1. It appears from the download page that the last Mac OS X release was over two years ago.  Has development stopped on that platform?

2. Even if I were to select an old version (which I don't want to do and would probably fail over to using the more recent PC version), would I have to compile from scratch?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2010-09-24

Development most certainly has not stopped.  We're just not producing binary releases very often for any platform.

Since you're on a Mac, I'd actually suggest getting the latest source distribution and compiling from source.  The instructions (included in the README and INSTALL files) are very simple.

Cheers!
    Sean

• chrish

chrish - 2010-09-28

Hi, I'm very new to this & am very interested in learning this software. I am running a MacBook Pro with 10.6.4. Where exactly are the instructions located? the read me part of the installation doesn't specify re-compile instructions, so I am lost. This is likely a very basic question, so apologies for my lack of understanding.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2010-10-05

To compile, you'll need to download a source distribution instead of a binary distribution.  From there, the README and INSTALL files should be obvious.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks