MGED openGL

Ben
2014-06-24
2014-06-27
  • Ben

Ben - 2014-06-24

I am encountering the following error when running MGED:

ogl_open: Can't get an appropriate visual

What version of OpenGL does MGED require?

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2014-06-25

The Linux binaries for a particular version of BRL-CAD may be compiled against a specific GLX interface version, but there is no particular version of OpenGL required. That error message is a general initialization failure.

I'd suggest either A) confirm that OpenGL is working (e.g., run glxgears) and then compile BRL-CAD from a source distribution (it's easy) or B) use a workaround by running "mged -c" and selecting "X" at the attach prompt, then running the "gui" command to try and initialize the usual interface (or run "attach X" and stick with console-mode).

Cheers!
    Sean

• Ben

Ben - 2014-06-25

Sean,

Thanks for replying.

I have tried running mged -c and it works using X display.

However, the software package I am using calls mged using a graphical user interface. I put this command in my .cshrc file to try to force mged to use X display rather than OpenGL: setenv FB_FILE /dev/Xl. MGED, however, still uses OpenGL.

The question is how do I force MGED to use X display without using mged -c.

Thanks again,
      Ben

• Sean Morrison

Ben, I'm curious to know which software package you're using that is invoking mged...

That said, you can switch which display manager is being used after mged is initialized (and a .g database is loaded) by running the "dmtype" command. Basically, run this command:

dmtype set X

That should make the embedded framebuffer work. You'll still want FB_FILE to be set for things like running the "rt" command on the mged command prompt or for rendering performed external to mged.

The way to set that more permanently is to then create/update a .mgedrc file and/or edit your exiting .mgedrc file. Confirm that it has this line: set mged_default(dm_type) X

Let me know if one of these solutions works!

Cheers!
    Sean

• Ben

Ben - 2014-06-25

Sean,

The line added to the .mgedrc file worked for the MGED option of the software. However, the iMGED (I assume the i is for interactive) did not and is still looking for the ogl display.

The following are lines I added to the files to force using the X display:

.mgedrc
    set mged_default(dm_type) X

.cshrc
    setenv FB_FILE /dev/Xl

.bashrc
    FB_FILE=/dev/Xl
    export FB_FILE

Is there something I missed setting to force all displays to use the X display? The iMGED option automatically opens the .g graphics files without user input.

Thanks for your help again,
    Ben

• Sean Morrison

Wow Ben, you've really got me and another dev scratching our brains trying to remember what iMGED is and while it it really really vaguely familiar to both of us, it feels like that's going back at least 5 if not 10 years...or more. Please tell me you're not running a version of BRL-CAD that is that old? That might explain the GLX incompatibility. :)

Without knowing what it is, I'm not sure how to make it work. If it's what I think it is -- a custom tool that was developed off of what we now call our "archer infrastructure" -- then it's going to be really tough to find a workaround that doesn't involve recompiling (which I still recommend, especially if you're on something that old).

If this is for a Gov purpose, please e-mail devs at brlcad dot org and I'll follow up with you in private to sort this out. Otherwise, my next question is what you actually use iMGED for and still try to get you set up with a more current release.

Cheers!
    Sean

• Ben

Ben - 2014-06-26

Sean,

Where can I find documentation on procedures for what needs to be recompiled?

Thanks,
      Ben

• Ben

Ben - 2014-06-26

Sean,

The BRL-CAD version is 7.24.0. MGED worked with the changes you recommended. I have to find out why it does not work for iMGED.

Thanks,
    Ben

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2014-06-26

Glad to help, Ben.

Compilations instructions are available here: http://brlcad.org/wiki/Compiling
    That said, we don't compile or distribute a tool named iMGED... where did that come from?

Cheers!
    Sean

• Ben

Ben - 2014-06-27

Sean,

Thanks for the link.

I am working on a gov. tool and iMGED came with the distribution.

Ben

Last edit: Ben 2014-06-27
  • Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2014-06-27

Ben,

That very well sounds like a tool that was supported many years ago. The solution is probably to migrate to our newer infrastructure. If you send e-mail to "devs at brlcad dot org", we can figure out the best path forward on mail.mil channels.

Cheers!
    Sean

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks