Trying to Run BRLCAD 7.12.2 on OSX

Scott
2008-08-27
2013-04-22
  • Scott

Scott - 2008-08-27

Not sure what to do, I am not well versed in Unix.  I have a G5 Mac running 10.4.11. I installed BRLCAD 7.12.2 using the downloaded installer package and when I try to run mged I get an error message:

mged -bash: /usr/brlcad/rel-7.12.2/bin/mged: cannot execute binary file

I did set the path in the .profile file and that seems to be working properly.  Any ideas? 

Thanks,

Scott

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2008-08-28

Try the 7.10.4 for PPC Mac.  The one you downloaded is for Intel Macs.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105292&package_id=113557

Cheers!
      Sean

• Scott

Scott - 2008-08-28

I downloaded the 7.10.4 and tried to install it and I get a message that says there is nothing to install.  Very peculiar.

• Sean Morrison

Probably because you installed a newer version and it's recognizing that you're trying to install an older version.  Try opening up a terminal window and running this to remove the previous install:

sudo rm -rf /usr/brlcad

Be careful to type that exactly (use copy-paste).

Cheers!
          Sean

• Scott

Scott - 2008-08-28

I removed the BRLCAD directory and tried to reinstall 7.10.4 and it still says an older version already installed do I want to overwrite it.  I say yes and I continue to get the message there is nothing to install.

• Sean Morrison

Are you certain that you downloaded the PPC version?  How big is the dmg that you downloaded?

• Scott

Scott - 2008-08-28

The file DMG file name is BRL-CAD_7.10.4_ppc.dmg with a size of 520.5 MB.

Thanks,

Scott

• Sean Morrison

Hrm, then that sounds like the ppc version indeed! 

Try running this and installing:

rm -rf /Library/Receipts/BRL-CAD*
                  sudo rm -rf /usr/brlcad

• Scott

Scott - 2008-08-29

Sean,

Got it installed.  Now the dumb question, how do I get Archer to run? Is there documentation specific for running BRLCAD and it's associated programs on the Mac?

Thanks again,

Scott

• Scott

Scott - 2008-08-29

I tried to run Archer and this is what happened:

Scott-Fredericks-Computer:~ scottfrederick$ archer 2008-08-27_JCA_3xxx_FC.g
                    /usr/brlcad/rel-7.10.4/bin/../bin/bwish /usr/brlcad/rel-7.10.4/bin/archer 2008-08-27_JCA_3xxx_FC.g
                    dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXss.1.dylib
                      Referenced from: /usr/brlcad/rel-7.10.4/lib/libtk8.5.dylib
                      Reason: image not found
                    Trace/BPT trap

That library file doesn't exist in my /usr/X11R6/lib directory.  The only file in that directory that is close to that is libXss.a

Not sure what to do.

Thanks for your time,

Scott

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2008-08-29

Scott,

Ouch, that's pretty unfortunate.  Archer's trying to use a dynamic library that (for whatever reason) you apparently don't have.  What you found is a static version which would only help if you recompiled BRL-CAD from source.

Alas, there's nothing short of a new release or a recompile that can be done about that problem.  Does MGED work?  Archer is still just a prototype interface, regardless, and not intended for production work.

Sean

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks