Close

brlcad and gui discussion

ArtX
2008-01-06
2013-04-22
  • ArtX

ArtX - 2008-01-06

Hi,
    I work with a powerfull 3d cad for windows but my passion is linux, programming and open-source.
    I see a lot of cad opensource but this I think is the most powerfull and the cad with the best caracteristics, and I like the projects with database like the cad that i work.
    So I have few questions, I'm not an expert of licenses, but why is not included in the repository of the most famous distributions? Is not compatible with gpl or lgpl?.
    So another question is about the grapical library use, tcl/tk are very tested and powerfull, but why dont use qt that are platform indipendent?

Best regards and good work.
    thanks

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2008-01-06

ArtX,

Thanks for the questions, and they're very good questions.  BRL-CAD is completely compatible -- that's not the problem in the least.  As a unified package, BRL-CAD is distributed under the LGPL.  The reason it's not included in most of the "famous" distributions yet is merely due to the complexity and size of our source package, naming conflicts, and build system integration complications.

I've been working rather hard for a very long time to make our integration with most of the package management systems like apt, portage, and others easier.  There have been major namespace conflicts, installation path problems, issues linking against system libraries, relocation problems, and more.  We are integrated into several package managers already (FreeBSD, Archlinux, T2, Rock Linux) and several people have been working for a very long time for some of the others like apt and portage (just see how much has been done for Gentoo: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77197 ).

As for why not use some other toolkit, you pretty much answered your own question.  Tcl/tk is very tested and powerful.  Also, the decision to develop a tcl/tk interface *long* predates qt being a viable solution (made circa 1992 iirc).  I don't think anyone would mind seeing a new GUI being developed using a different toolkit, the issue is more one of developer capacity.  If you're a developer, feel free to get involved and I'd be glad to help get you started (and might even help).  If not, it's unfortunately just academically interesting as we're pretty saturated.

Cheers!
      Sean

• ArtX

ArtX - 2008-01-06

Sean Morrison,

Thanks for your complete answer.
      Sorry but I'm not a developer, I study aeronautical construction (not engineering) and now I work a lot, linux and programming is "only" my hobby.
      Now I want to learn the qt4 toolkit and perhaps is possible to see wath I will can do with this software and qt in the respect of the license.
      p.s: sorry for my english but I don't know it very much.

Best regards and have a good work.
      Artx