Menu

can't connect to bristol via midi

Help
2010-04-04
2013-05-23
  • Chris Caulfield

Chris Caulfield - 2010-04-04

Hi I wonder if you can help please, I have ubuntu studio 9.10 64 bit and have install & compiled bristol from sources
    everything works fine except that when running with jack bristol does not show any midi connections in the alsa tab on jack control, but one does appear in the midi tab of jack control problem is that all my software uses the alsa sequencer so I therefore cannot connect to bristol.

• Andrew C

Andrew C - 2010-04-04

Just use:

startBristol -jack -midi seq

option to have bristol use alsa midi.

By default bristol uses jack midi.

Andrew.

• Chris Caulfield

Chris Caulfield - 2010-04-04

That's great! Thanks, and thanks allot for writing this wonderfull application, I've always wanted to be able to play with these old analogue synths but could never in my wildest dreams afford the real thing, you have have made me very happy… now all I have to do is work out how program the damn things lol.

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2010-04-05

A present release of bristol will have some ./configure options to let a user configure which drivers will be used by default: Jack audio and ALSA SEQ will be an option but they will default to ALSA/ALSA. There has already been a bit of confusion surounding the -jack flag and that it configured both audio and MIDI, almost to the point that the old functionality might have to return where -jack only configures the audio, leaving the MIDI alone as ALSA.

Maybe the ./configure flags are the best choice here but they are not always clear to a new user.

Kind regards, nick.