Build for WinXP available

Help
LaubBlatt
2008-09-17
2013-05-23
  • LaubBlatt

LaubBlatt - 2008-09-17

Hi,

unfortunately I am a "stupid" Windows user, but I like to try the bristol software to play a bit around.
    So, is there a build for Windows available somewhere?
    Or, does anyone has some experience with installing and using bristol using Cygwin?

Thanks alot,

Maik
    --

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2008-09-17

There is non such thing as a stupid user, just plenty of people who really believe their system is the best one. If you are interested in mixing them then you are already further ahead.

Unfortunately I don't have any good news on a windows port. I have no plans to do this and as the sole developer that pretty much means it is not going to happen. It's not that I would not want it, its just that the effort is considerable due to the different development environment. On top of that I develop on Linux since this kind of stuff is not really Linux available - in contrast there really are plenty of free emulators available on Windows and the truth is that none of them will be better or worse than bristol is on Linux. You need to remember that the OS does not control the sound quality, the application does, and the developers of the Windows freeware make sure that their products are respectable.

In short, good luck with the window apps - go find them as they are out there.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Elliot Mednick

Elliot Mednick - 2009-09-26

Bump.  I just took a quick attempt to compile this for Cygwin, but got compiler errors.  Before I spend time on this, has anyone else done this, or can say for certain that this will be impossible?

Thanks!

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2009-09-26

This will be very close to impossible.

You can definitely state that just compiling under Cygwin will not be enough, you will have to completely rewrite the audio, midi and graphics libraries used by bristol as they only have Unix/Linux interfaces. There will not be enough similarity to have it simply ported, in my opinion.

There was a recent attempt by somebody to port to MacOS, already unix based but this also failed on some of the above libraries.

I would consider it easier to go and look for some of the windows based softsynths, there are plenty of them available and at least some of them a free.

kind regards, nick.

• Elliot Mednick

Elliot Mednick - 2009-09-26

Thanks for the quick response.  I'll just setup a Linux PC.

Thanks!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks