Can't use bristol with qjackctl and oxy...

Help
2010-05-09
2013-05-23
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I'm a begginer and command line is beyond me so i try to stick to GUIs as much as I can. I have installed monoBristol as a GUI and try to connect it to the Oxygen controller via jack control but i can't get any sound from the very few synths i can acually open on bristol. i use zynaddsubfx with no problems but with monobristol things are not working for me. I'm researching and trying tpo learn about MIDI channels, ports CC etc but so far I'm not getting much.

Thanks in advance for any hint or help.
    Matias

• Andrew C

Andrew C - 2010-05-09

Hey Matias,

As you appear to be using jackd, remember to also connect the bristol client to the system client in the Audio tab. Zyn, I think does this automatically.

Andrew.

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2010-05-09

I would imagine the cause of the problem is that Bristol will try and use Jack MIDI and Jack Audio interfaces together - the MIDI typically comes in from ALSA though. You can try the advanced tab in monoBristol, it should let you select jack audio and MIDI SEQ interface. The SEQ is important, it is different from ALSA RAW.

Regards, nick

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2010-05-09

Hi Andrew,

That is a good point. MonoBristol does have a 'jack-autoconnect' button which does this but I have a feeling it might only be in the "basic" tab, not the advances. Perhaps I should get a copy of the recent monoBristol as I don't actually maintain it.

Regards, nick

• Andrew C

Andrew C - 2010-05-10

Hey Nick,

I haven't played with MonoBristol at all, but surely it'd be the simple matter of selecting auto-connect jack in MonoBristol, flick over to advanced settings and selecting Alsa seq as the midi driver then launching the synth(s)?

I'll test it relatively soon-ish either way. I think I hear a bug report with my name on it on the MonoBristol page. :-)

Andrew.

• Matias Goinheix

Matias Goinheix - 2010-05-10

Thanks for all the answers, I tried the jack autoconnect option (which actually is under both, the basic and advanced tabs) and the other settings but I don't have any response, i can't open all the synths in the tabs neither, most open for a second as a black window and closes. I don't get any sound by clicking on the synth's keys which stay pressed. I use phasex , zynaddsubfx and qsynth with no problem though. It's a shame because bristol looks very promising.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have the same, or a similar behavior with monoBristol, that maghoxfr describes above.  I installed monoBristol and the synths would open (with the keys remaining depressed until clicked to turn off-they do make sound…), but it was working.  Then I tried to use it with jack control (the gui here too) and got an error from jack telling me that I needed to add the @audio - rtprio 100 to the etc/security/limits.conf file, which I did.  And it fixed jack.  It runs fine with no errors and works with zynaddsubfx.  However, at that point, monoBristol would flash the black screen and disappear when I tried to open a synth.  I remove that line from the limits.conf file, restart the computer, and reset the default settings in the configure tab in monoBristol, monoBristol opens and works again.

I'm not sure what the trouble is, but I hope this info might help solve it….

• Andrew C

Andrew C - 2010-10-03

I'd be interested to know what the results are when you use the Alsa driver, instead of JACK, whether you get any sound then or not.

Also, it might be no harm to just try the commandline and use the following (The black box disappearing when selecting synths in monobristol sounds either like a problem with monobristol itself, or a problem with your X11 install):
    (For using the alsa audio driver): startBristol -b3
    (For using the JACK audio driver): startBristol -jack -b3

These are just the tests I'd use to troubleshoot this problem, but maybe there are better approaches.

Andrew.

• Andrew C

Andrew C - 2010-10-03

Also, setting RTprio in limits.conf, just tells the system to give audio real-time prioritizing, if I'm not mistaken. Basically your audio flowing from the synth, through jack, to your soundcard and out your speakers shouldn't be interrupted too easily by other things the computer is doing, and because of that, I shouldn't see any reason why monobristol would just crash because of it….

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to post the output of those two commands above.

Andrew.

• Matias Goinheix

Matias Goinheix - 2010-10-03

Hi Andrew, thanks for the concern. Since I posted last time, I've been able to use the different Bristol synths, but from commandline, with the startBristol command and selecting them by the different options. They work that way. I really wish that the GUI that shows all the options would work because it would really make things quicker for me, but it's not a matter of life or death. I have been kind of absent from audio world the last couple of weeks and will be for the following days, but when I'm back, I'll try the thigs you told me. The rtprio I have it set to 99.

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2010-10-03

What options do you eventually use to get bristol to work? I did not write monoBristol however if you have options on the command line that do not appear to give you the results you want from monoBristol I can discuss this with the developer and remedy the situation.

Do you start it as root (su/sudo) or just from the command line as yourself?

Are you certain there is only one version installed? If you take a look at your app manager you can see if you installed a version from your distro. Then, if you installed a version from source you might have two which could result in monoBristol calling a different version of bristol.

Kind regards, nick.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks