Succesfull build on OSX, no midi...

Help
vaag
2010-04-22
2013-05-23
  • vaag

vaag - 2010-04-22

Today I succesfully build Bristol on OSX 10.6! Very nice code, just needed one or two very small edits (and removal of alsa and oss references). Running in XQuartz via JackPilot the synts sound really nice.

Have a look: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16115/bristol_osx.png

Only problem: no midi. OSX's Jack has no midi-pass-through and Snow Leopards IAC driver is not available for Bristol. Since I'm only a c builder, not a c coder, I wonder what suggestions you can give me? Will try them all :) I did some experimenting with OSC and chuck but to no result.

Oh, if anyone's interested I can supply a binary release. And Nick, if you like the idea, perhaps we can merge these changes?

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2010-04-22

Very nice. Which version did you build - 0.50 or something? You can compile this will -disable-oss -disable-alsa although I thought it would still fail on some other stuff regarding realtime prioritiy scheduling, maybe some of the thread management stuff.

Am happy to merge changes back into the tree.

So no MIDI, that means you can only play them via the GUI. I will have to have a bit of a think about that as I have no idea what would be needed for an IAC/CoreAudio port, that basically means it is not going to happen quickly. Perhaps I should buy a Mac?

regards, nick.

• vaag

vaag - 2010-04-22

it's the most recent release, 0.60.0. And yes, you should buy a mac ;)

Anyways, I will look into the midi stuff also. With midi in place this would make a superb OSX release!

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2010-04-22

Even with a Mac it is not a small amount of development to get it to work with IAC/CoreAudio or whatever their Midi interface is. Man, I do admit it is interesting but don't hold your breath, I will work on it when I can find a few hundred free euros to buy one.

Kind regards, nick.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hey Vaag,
    Would it be possible for you to re-upload the mac build? I can't seem to get Bristol working on ubuntu, so i'm super glad i found this. I'm expecting I'll have to download Xquartz and JackPilot as well, i'm not exactly sure what these are. Any advice/information is totally welcomed.
    Thanks,
    Wes.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks