Menu

one connfailed after another

Help
Alguy
2011-06-15
2013-05-23
  • Alguy

Alguy - 2011-06-15

I've tried over and over again to start bristol, but TCP port connfails stop it. What can I do? I've seen earlier versions of
    Bristol and it looks like a great program. Compiled the latest version (0.60 or something), but no joy.

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2011-06-17

You should be able to get some debuging if you start the command from a terminal, for example:

startBristol -arp2600 -debug

If you can send me all the output from the command through to it terminating (ie, failing) then I might get an idea of what is going on.

Kind regards, nick

• Alguy

Alguy - 2011-06-18

I thank you, Nick. I'm not getting the connfails any more. Now, there are just two things standing between me and total commitment to Bristol. One is that I can't seem to set Bristol up to be able to play notes on my keyboard and have them sound through the PC speakers.  I think, though, that I'll eventually be able to figure this out via Jack, just as I have with zynsubfxadd (or whatever is the name).  BUT, the thing that concerns me most is this: My music keyboard (a high-end casio)) is equipped with rhythms or accompaniments (polka, foxtrot, rhumba, etc.), and I don't  have the faintest idea of how to get them to play through the PC speakers while I use Bristol to play the upper manual. Different parts of the rhythms play instruments on different midi channels. I guess I need software that will "open" up all 16 midi channels to input from the keyboard. Because I believe Bristol has the best Hamond sound (and I've heard dozens of others), I'm devoting "my life" to getting Bristol to work AND getting those rhythms to work. As you know, Nick, there are plenty of organ simulators around. But none of them give any hint as to how to use a keyboard that has built-in rhythms. It's as though I'm the only being in the universe with such a keyboard. Regards.

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2011-06-20

There are two ways to get bristol to respond to MIDI, either Jack or ALSA. I may be telling you stuff you already know, apologies for that: both of these MIDI interfaces need to be connected. For ALSA you typically use 'aconnect -i' and 'aconnect -o' to list the MIDI sources and sinks, then aconnect them together.

Jack MIDI typically uses qjackctl, a GUI to link everything together.

The bristol hammond uses two MIDI channels: you can use the -channel option to set the upper manual, the lower manual uses that number +1. The default value is Channel-1, ie, the first channel. Bristol does have an OMNI mode where it responds on any MIDI channel however it is only used by a few of the emulators.

Kind regards, nick

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2011-06-21

The other part of your question, how to get your rhythm section going through the same speakers as bristol is a pretty big topic. It would go something like this:

1. Connect your Casio MIDI to your PC
    2. Connect your Casio audio outputs to the audio inputs of the PC sound card.
    3. Connect the PC MIDI IN to bristol using ALSA or Jack - you should be able to play it at this point.
    4. Mix the PC Audio Inputs with the Bristol outputs in Jack.

To do step 4 you need to use some mixing application, there are different ones out there - Ardour does this stuff however that is a full workstation and you already have the Casio. You will also want to keep the latency down as low as possible - you can configure that with qjackctl to have small periods and few buffers.

Hope that helps, regards, nick