asynchronous benchmarking

Yi S. Ding
2012-06-07
2013-06-03
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-07

Hi, has anyone done any benchmarking of boost log in asynchronous mode?  I'm currently seeing it take around 5x more time than std::cout.

• Andrey Semashev

Andrey Semashev - 2012-06-07

I did some testing but it was long time ago. Yes, async logging is the slowest one, this is expected.

• Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-07

OK.  I'd be interested in speeding it up if possible.  Not familiar enough with the internals of the code, but just stepping from stepping through with a debugger it looks like the main issue is the various layers of locking.

A good asynchronous logger would be really useful for a lot of performance critical code.

• Andrey Semashev

I'm also interested in speeding it up. Inter-thread communication is one part of the problem. Some work has been done in this direction in v2, although no tests were run so far, so I can't tell if there's any improvement. The other part is the necessity to clone some of the attribute values when passing log records between threads. Depending on the use case, this may play bigger or smaller role in the final performance. This restriction is architectural and I don't see a way around it.

• Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-07

Cool.  Do you know if the trunk builds cleanly against 1.50 beta 1?  If so, I can try my benchmark on it and see if there's any improvement.

• Andrey Semashev

I can try my benchmark on it and see if there's any improvement.

This would be great. Thanks in advance.

• Andrey Semashev

Do you know if the trunk builds cleanly against 1.50 beta 1?

I didn't try but let me know if there are any problems.

• Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-08

I tried to build it, and there were two issues: 1) there were two places in async_frontend.hpp where it wouldn't compile because the .move function it was using no longer existed.  I'm building using gcc 4.4.6 and c++0x mode so I just switched those to std::move calls instead.

2) For some reason the only library that got built was libboost_log_setup.a

• Oleg

Oleg - 2012-06-15

Is correct that all mutable attributes are always allocated on the heap and them passed by value to the logging thread? If that's the case, would it be possible to copy attributes of simple types (timestamps, thread id's, etc) by value instead?

• Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-26

By the way, is there a maximum queue size in the asynchronous logger?

• Andrey Semashev

Andrey Semashev - 2012-06-26

Only in v2, if you specify bounded queue policy.

• Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-29

I was able to get the trunk to build against 1.50 successfully.  There was one change I had to make (in addition to the move code above) where I had to change system::get_generic_category to system::generic_category)

Unfortunately, it looks like boost 1.50 + trunk is about 7.5% slower than boost 1.49 + v1 for asynchronous logging.

• Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-29

boost 1.50 + v1 takes about the same time to run as boost 1.49 + v1, so it looks like the difference is in v1 vs. trunk.

• Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-29

v1 needs the generic_category change as well btw.

• Andrey Semashev

Andrey Semashev - 2012-06-30

Thank you for the numbers. Could you also describe your environment (compiler, OS, CPU)?

• Andrey Semashev

Andrey Semashev - 2012-06-30

Also, did you use equivalent async frontends? In v2 you would have to use unbounded frontends to mimic v1.

Regarding the category change, looks like in 1.50 the deprecated code has been removed. I'll make the change in the code.

• Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-30

gcc 4.4.6 (Scientific Linux 6.2) , core i7-2600

I'll take a look at the unbounded frontend.

• Yi S. Ding

Yi S. Ding - 2012-06-30

It looks like by default sinks::asynchronous_sink uses a unbounded_fifo_queue.  Is there something else I should use instead?

• Anonymous - 2012-07-05

bump for 1.50 compile fixes in trunk.

• Andrey Semashev

Andrey Semashev - 2012-07-05

Changes committed.

• Mangesh Sawant

Mangesh Sawant - 2012-08-28

Hi , want to know how to define bounded queue policy in asynchronous logger to specify maximum queue size.
    Is there any example\documentation for same?
    Also want to know effect of defining bounded queue policy.
    If queue reaches maximum size will logger automaticaly swith from asynchronous to synchronous mode or
    it will stop writing logs.

• Andrey Semashev

Andrey Semashev - 2012-08-28

See bounded_async_log example in SVN. There are 2 policies of queue overflow behavior: either drop excessive records or block until the backend processes some of the queued records.

• Andrey Semashev

Andrey Semashev - 2012-08-29

This library is hosted here, on SourceForge and not in the Boost Sandbox SVN.

• Mangesh Sawant

Mangesh Sawant - 2012-08-29

Thanks for the information. It seems I have to create my own synk to use bounded_async_log, is it possibleto controll this  feature through setting file ?

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks