Installation issue

Help
Ameron
2008-10-27
2013-05-23
  • Ameron

Ameron - 2008-10-27

Hello everyone!

I have a problem testing this software which looks great from what I can see in the demo.

The problem is that I can't make it run on my server...
    When I try to open a page (for example "details_view.php"), what I get is part of the code of the page as text.
    I noticed one thing: it seems like the server doens't recognize the tag "<?" as the beginning of php code. I tried then to replace all the "<?" tags in the whole application with "<?php", but after that the things get even worse: all the pages are just blank, as well as their source showed by the browser (Firefox).

I really don't know what else to try and my php knowledge is quite poor...

Can somebody help me? Has someone had the same problem I get?

Thank you all in advance!

• VIP member

VIP member - 2008-10-27

You can find out how your server treats the opening tag by uploading a simple test file "phptest.php" with this code:

<?php
      Echo "Hello, World!";
      ?>

Try it with and without "php": point your browser to www.yourserver.com/phptest.php

• Ameron

Ameron - 2008-10-27

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried to do what you said and the text Hello World is shown only with the <?php tag, not with just <?.

The problem is that I've already tried to replace "<?" with "<?php" in all the files of the project, and instead of seeing just part of the code as text, now the pages are just blank (also their source shown by the browser).
      I've done that more than once already, and the result is always the same...

• VIP member

VIP member - 2008-10-27

You could try to get your server to accept the short  <?  opening tags.

Put this in a .htaccess file:

php_flag short_open_tag on

I'm not sure how it works in your server, though.

• Ameron

Ameron - 2008-10-27

I created the .htaccess file containing only the code line you wrote and I put it in the root directory of the server.

The result is that whatever page I try to open I always get the "500 Internal Server Error"... so I had to remove the file.

What else could I try?

• VIP member

VIP member - 2008-10-27

It seems like your server is configured not to allow the .htaccess method.
        I have tried to help you to avoid the code change, but maybe you have to try it again.

Recheck you have replaced all of the <? codes. There might be some "hidden" in between the code, like this: <title><?=$page_title?></title>

I found it over 450 times....

• bunker

bunker - 2008-11-29

If possible edit php.ini

Find this text, read it, and change Off to on

; Allow the <? tag.  Otherwise, only <?php and <script> tags are recognized.
      ; NOTE: Using short tags should be avoided when developing applications or
      ; libraries that are meant for redistribution, or deployment on PHP
      ; servers which are not under your control, because short tags may not
      ; be supported on the target server. For portable, redistributable code,
      ; be sure not to use short tags.
      short_open_tag = on

Hope it helps

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks