FREACCMD: Specifying track file names if no cddb queries

2014-05-06
2014-05-16
  • Robert Ridenour

Robert Ridenour - 2014-05-06

I'm ripping audiobooks, which won't have cddb entries for file names. Using freaccmd, can I specify the filename format to use for tracks? Even just something like "Track01.mp3"? Right now they just come out as "cd0track01.mp3" Can't seem to find any flags for freaccmd to handle the naming without cddb info...

GREAT tool by the way!!!

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2014-05-08

You can use the -p parameter to set the output filename pattern like "freaccmd -track all -p Track<track>". The default pattern is "<artist> - ". Use quotes if your pattern contains spaces.</p> <p>There is no way, however, to make freaccmd use one pattern if CDDB info is present and another if it's missing using only one command line.</p>

• Rick Baker

Rick Baker - 2014-05-16

R. Ridenour,

I don't know if this helps you or not, but I also do some recording of audiobooks.
    First let me point out that it makes the most sense (for me anyway) to record all of the tracks that are on each disk as a single file because, with audiobooks, I have never seen the need to keep each CDs' tracks separate.

So what I do is to create an output directory that is the name of the audiobook itself and enter that in the "Output Directory" window (e.g."E:\Audiobooks\Dune"). Then with "Record to Single File" selected, what happens is that I am prompted to save the (MP3) file that will be generated to that directory. But instead of approving the default filename given, before beginning the rip, I change the default filename offered and simply name it "Part 1.mp3" etc. (or "Disk 1.mp3", whatever...)

Naturally, you can name it anything you want, but what I end up with is my audiobook title as the main output directory, and then for multiple CD audiobooks, I can have parts 1 through 6 (or however many CD's), each CD's contents ending up as a single file under the main directory. Since I number them correctly (no matter what text is entered), they will play in the numerical order I give them.

When I pop the CD into any CD player, my players flawlessly begin at "Part 1" and go on from there. It's pretty cool that I can rip a 6 to 8 CD audiobook that, in total, will easily fit on just one CD as MP3's.

My describing the process took a lot more time and effort than it takes to actually do it but I hope you get the idea.

If you really want each track to have it's own name, I guess what you could do is to name each track separately, but that does seem like more effort than what is needed for ripping audiobooks.
    I hope that helps.

By the way, I love freac. I had used CdeX for years and finally gave it up since it has been long abandoned.
    I didn't know about freac until just recently, and I like it a whole lot better than Cdex. I've even already sent R. Kaushch a $5 paypal payment about an hour ago just because I'm so tickled to have found a good audio ripper/converter that is still actively being developed... and works GREAT!.
    RB

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks