fre:ac + linux + nero aac codec

2014-05-21
2014-06-28
  • AX Redneck 34noff

Hello!
    Can i use 3rd party codecs if fre:ac for linux?
    I unzipped Nero AAC codec (neroAac* files) to codecs/cmdline but i can't see it in "Selected encoder" list. I did the same under Wine and all worked but last versions of fre:ac have major UI glitces under Wine.
    Xubuntu 14.04 32bit, fre:ac 20140223, Nero AAC codec 1.5.1

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2014-05-21

On Linux, neroAacEnc must be in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin for fre:ac to recognize it.

This will be fixed in the next snapshot. While it was an intentional decision to only recognize those directories on Linux, I do now realize that it would be better to also support codecs/cmdline as on Windows.

Thank you for reporting this!

• AX Redneck 34noff

Thank You!

• AX Redneck 34noff

Fre:ac 20140609
    I placed neroAac* files to freac/codecs/cmdline, now fre:ac shows "Nero AAC Encoder" in Selected Encoder list, but when i try to transcode something with this codec fre:ac creates .m4a file of 0 bytes and then crashes

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2014-06-28

Was able to reproduce this issue after several tries. It's a little strange...

fre:ac crashes as you described here only if the files to be encoded were added to the joblist using drag & drop. If they were added using the "Add audio files" dialog, conversion ran fine.

I'll have to investigate what's causing this. Could be some memory management issue. Maybe you could try to confirm my findings in the meantime.

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2014-06-28

Ok, after some investigation I found that it has nothing to do with drag & drop. It was pure coincidence only dropped files caused the crash here at first.

It definitely looks like a memory management problem now.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks