Recent snapshots immediately crash on old (non SSE2) computer

• Dirge

Dirge - 2014-06-10

I’m running the current stable version of fre:ac (v1.0.21a) on my old computer without a problem, but all recent "snapshot" versions crash immediately upon launch. My computer has an Athlon XP CPU that supports SSE but not SSE2. and I’m wildly guessing that these newer releases require SSE2 support. Is that the case? (and will that be the case in the future?) or am I encountering another problem?

Windows XP (SP3) Home Edition
    Athlon XP CPU
    1GB RAM

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2014-06-10

I switched to a new compiler version with snapshot 20131217. Your post made me have look at the compiler specs file where I noticed that it sets -march=native. That would allow it to use SSE2, SSE3 and other new instructions, which is not desired.

Unfortunately, even if I set the architecture to something like i586, the runtime libraries libgcc and libstdc++ might still use SSE2 instructions. I do not have an old computer to test this on, but I could post a test version here in a few days. Would be great if you could give it a try.

• Dirge

Dirge - 2014-06-10

I'll check back and give your test version a spin -- it only takes a second to see if it works or not. (fre:ac 1.0.21a works fine, so it's hardly a pressing matter ... I was mostly just wondering if my computer was suffering from some other problem.)

FYI: fre:ac 1.0.21a is the only converter I could find that allows me to use FLAC 1.3.0 on my computer -- all the other FLAC 1.3.0 converters I checked out require an SSE2 CPU. Those of us with ancient computers thank you for that.

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2014-06-19

Please test the attached version. It's compiled with the -march=i686 flag and should run on your computer. However, as said before, I do not know how the libstdc++ and libgcc runtime libraries were compiled, so it might still fail.

If this one doesn't work, I can provide another test version compiled using the compiler used for older snapshots.

• Dirge

Dirge - 2014-06-20

Unfortunately, the test version crahed immediately upon launch as well, this time saying, "The application failed to initialize properly."

Don't spend any more time working on a new test version on my account: version 1.0.21a is working fine for me, so I'll just keep using it until my computer dies a natural death.

Thanks for giving it a try, however; I appreciate the effort.

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2014-07-28

I just released fre:ac 1.0.22 and made sure it runs on older computers (tested on an old Pentium III laptop).

New snapshots and fre:ac 1.1, however, will require at least a Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 CPU with SSE2.

• Dirge

Dirge - 2014-07-28

I just downloaded and launched fre:ac 1.0.22 without a problem on my old (pre-SSE2) Athlon XP computer; I've converted a test file to each of the various formats, and everything seems to be working without a hitch.

Thanks for the special "last hurrah" release for us cheap diehards still using ancient computers.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks