Menu

FDK-AAC and QAAC

szabiz
2021-05-03
2021-05-03
  • Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2021-05-03

fre:ac 1.1.4 uses Martin Storsjö's libfdk-aac release 2.0.1: https://github.com/mstorsjo/fdk-aac/releases

As far as I know, all the other FDK-AAC builds are based on Martin Storsjö's work as well. fre:ac 1.1.5 will get the new libfdk-aac 2.0.2 release.

As for qaac, just copy qaac.exe or qaac64.exe to the codecs\cmdline folder inside the fre:ac program directory and it should show up as QuickTime AAC Encoder.

I'll change that designation to qaac in the next update and also add ALAC support. If you want to try these changes, copy the attached boca_encoder_qaac.1.0.xml file to the boca folder (replacing the existing file with the same name).

Note, though, that fre:ac already supports Apple's AAC encoder by itself, so qaac is not needed for that. When iTunes or the Apple Application Support package are installed, the encoder should show up as Core Audio AAC/ALAC Encoder in fre:ac.

• szabiz

szabiz - 2021-05-03

Thanks for the professional answer!
    I would just add that the advantage of the qaac encoder is that it does not need to install iTunes.

Super! Qaac works and the surface is also very good! Thanks!

Last edit: szabiz 2021-05-03
  • Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2021-05-03

It's actually possible to use the Core Audio encoder in fre:ac without installing iTunes as well.

The libraries can be copied to the boca\boca.encoder.coreaudio\x64 folder. If they are there and complete, fre:ac will be able to use them.

When fre:ac is installed in the Program Files directory, the libraries need to go in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\freac\boca\boca.encoder.coreaudio\x64.