Menu

A question about encoders

smaragdus
2015-08-02
2015-08-16
  • smaragdus

smaragdus - 2015-08-02

I would like to ask why the good encoders (Monkey's Aduio, Tom's lossless Audio Kompressor, WavPack, etc) are included only in the snapshot versions and not in the stable ones?

Why Bonk Audio Encoder is missing from the snapshot versions?

I would like to suggest support for True Audio (TTA) and OptimFROG (OFR) encoders.

Regards

Last edit: smaragdus 2015-08-02
  • Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2015-08-02

Hi, the snapshot versions are previews of the current development effort for fre:ac 1.1. The codecs included with the snapshots will be in 1.1 as well.

The 1.0.x series, on the other hand, has a relatively old codebase where it is difficult to add new codecs. That's why most codecs added to the snapshot series did not make it into a 1.0.x release.

The Bonk codec has been removed from the snapshots, because I consider it obsolete. There will be an optional Bonk plug-in for the official fre:ac 1.1 release, though.

True Audio and OptimFROG can be used with current snapshot releases by adding ttaenc.exe and ofr.exe to the codecs/cmdline folder. There's a good chance that OptimFROG will be included in official fre:ac snapshot releases soon.

• Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell - 2015-08-11

Would you include support for dss files? I have thousands and would like to be able to easily convert them to wav and mp3.

Thanks.

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2015-08-11

fre:ac uses libav to decode many proprietary audio formats. Unfortunately, the latest official release of it does not support DSS yet, but a DSS decoder has recently been added to their source code repository.

The format will probably be supported in the next major release of libav and support will then be added to fre:ac.

If you would like to try it right now, have a look at the attached archive. Copy the files to the respective directories in your fre:ac installation (boca and codecs/cmdline subfolders) and you should be able to decode DSS files with fre:ac.

• Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell - 2015-08-11

Thanks, Robert, But I don't see the sub-folders (boca and codecs/cmdline) in my fre:ac installation. Still, I tried copying the files in various locations in the directory but nothing worked. Where should I copy the files--I have attached a gif of what my installation looks like.

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2015-08-11

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is for the snapshot release. Please try it with fre:ac 20150725.

New codecs cannot be added to the 1.0.x releases that easily.

• Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell - 2015-08-14

Hi Robert, I copied the dss archive files into the snapshot release directories, as you said, and launched the program. But when I try to add one of my dss files for decoding I get this message:

Error: Decoder returned exit code 1.

It does open in Olympus' free dss player, so I know it is a valid dss file.

Any other ideas about how to get it to work in fre:ac?

Thanks

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2015-08-16

Please send one of those files to support@freac.org, so I can have a look at why they cannot be opened.

I only tried with a DSS sample file from http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/DSS/ and it played fine using the fre:ac/avconv update.

Maybe your files use a different codec which even the updated avconv cannot decode.