Menu

How to specify bonding parameters

Help
2004-10-27
2013-06-06
  • Terry Lemons

Terry Lemons - 2004-10-27

Hi

I want to use bonding in SLES 9.  The SLES documentation has no information on bonding, so I've been using /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt.

A posting in the novell.support.suse.linux.enterprise-server mailing list advised creating a /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-bond0 with the following values:

BOOTPROTO='static'
    BROADCAST='172.16.0.255'
    IPADDR='172.16.0.1'
    MTU=''
    NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
    NETWORK='172.16.0.0'
    REMOTE_IPADDR=''
    STARTMODE='onboot'
    BONDING_MASTER='yes'
    BONDING_MODULE_OPTS='miimon=100'
    BONDING_SLAVE0='eth1'
    BONDING_SLAVE1='eth2'

I'm particularly interested in the last four lines.  These aren't documented in bonding.txt, but they do seem to work.  I really like the idea of specifying  optional parameters in the ifcfg-bond0 file, rather than (as bonding.txt specifies) in /etc/modprobe.conf, where they are much less visible IMHO.

What is the 'correct' way to specify these parameters?

Thanks!
    tl

• Anil V Gangur

Anil V Gangur - 2004-10-28

Hi,

The parameters specified by tou is correct. If you want to have some more options you need to specify them in one single line.

i.e

BONDING_MODULE_OPTS='miimon=100 mode=1'

Let me know if you need any other information.

BTW do you see Illegal operation message while bringing up the bond? If yes, do you know what is the cause?

thanks,
      Anil

• Terry Lemons

Terry Lemons - 2004-10-28

Thanks, Anil.  But if the parameters are correct, where are they documented?  They aren't in bonding.txt.

Thanks
        tl

• Jay Vosburgh

Jay Vosburgh - 2004-10-28

The bonding.txt documents only the kernel driver itself (bonding).  The network initialization stuff is specific to the various distros, so it should be documented somewhere with the distro, but it's not.  This is true for other distros as well, e.g., Red Hat.

There's some generic info on editing modprobe.conf and the like in bonding.txt, but that's not specific to any distro.

It happens that I've been working on documentation for  a couple of distros (for other reasons), which includes info on how to set up bonding on SLES 8, SLES 9 and RHEL.  Each of these has different requirements; none are consistent. 

• Terry Lemons

Terry Lemons - 2004-10-28

Ah, thanks for that clarification, Jay; that helps!  Wonder why the specific distribution documentation for bonding (which is great stuff, by the way!) hasn't seen the light of day . . . .

What source(s) are you using for your 'documentation for a couple of distros'?  Also, would you be willing to make that document available?

Thanks!
            tl

• Jing

Jing - 2004-12-16

Dears,
      i'm looking forward for detailed docs, tooooooo. i found someone mentioned that there IS sth. in patch package, but also found there ISNOT anything in this project's doc category. i think it's unreasonable. sign...anyhow,i may submit some when i find useful ones.