Bochs on Mac OS X 10.4.11: gCTable != NULL

• Pietro Gagliardi (andlabs)

Hello. I built the latest stable Bochs on Mac OS X 10.4.11 on Intel a while ago, and upon running Bochs, I get Bochs panicking, saying that the assertion "gCTable != NULL" failed. What's the problem and how do I fix this? Thanks

• pianoman72

pianoman72 - 2008-03-06

While you SHOULD be able to start the program by double-clicking the .app file, what works best is to type ./bochs.scpt in Terminal from the Bochs directory. Hopefully you copied it from the compile.

The only files that I copy from the compile folder are, bochs.scpt, bxcommit, and bximage (plus whatever BIOS files you need).

Of course now I can't even get Bochs to compile anymore....something new with either 10.5.2 or the latest CVS. Oh well.

BTW Rexpo you would probably prefer DOSBOX for playing old DOS games. It runs great on Intel Macs. I have been able to play just about anything. It just emulates the OS so you don't have to mess with formating a virtual disc or configuring near as much stuff. But part of the fun is the challenge, which is why I like Bochs I guess.

• Rexpo

Rexpo - 2008-03-03

Hi man,

I've been stuck with the exact same problem here for a couple hours, then stumbled across an older post (which I can't seem to find again) that had the solution!

run bochs from the that was generated during the compile:

Starting from a Terminal session in my home dir, where I have a simple bochs setup containing the .bochsrc and a hard disk image (with the norwegian version of IBM DOS v3.30! haha), I type:

once I'm in it's just a case of starting the simulation and pow - my girlfriend's childhood favourite DOS game is running on her mac :)

(took me a computer science degree and 2 days to figure out how get this thing compiled, installed, and configured - she'd better like it!!)

• Pietro Gagliardi (andlabs)

Thanks - this fixed the problem!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks