Crashes when NUMPY is imported

Help
2008-07-22
2013-05-01
  • Stephen Wong

Stephen Wong - 2008-07-22

(I also sumitted this as a bug report, but I will also post it here in the hopes that someone can help me with a solution right away -- Thanks in advance!)

When I try to import the latest version of NUMPY (http://numpy.scipy.org/) Boa Constructor 0.61 immediately crashes with no error message displayed on the screen.

Command that were typed in:
    import sys
    sys.path.append("C:\\python25\Lib\site-packages")
    import numpy
    [All Boa windows close at this point]

If you run Boa with the -T option, no trace log is generated.

However, one message does appear on the command window:

"Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information."

There are indications on the web that this might have to do with incompatible Python versions that created the compiled versions of the code.

Other relavent info:

OS:  Windows Vista Business and Windows Server 2003 (both 32-bit)
    Python: v2.5
    wxPython:  2.8.8.0 installed, though the Boa "About" page says 2.8.4.0
    Numpy: numpy-1.1.0-win32-superpack-python2.5.exe

I have a feeling that since Boa is the oldest of all the installed pieces that it may need to be recompiled against the newer components, but I have no idea how to do that, nor do I think that I have the resources to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm dead in the water right now with this problem.
    Thank you!
    Stephen Wong

• Werner F. Bruhin

Boa is pure Python code, unless you use the exe installation (boa py2exe'd) which I do not recommend to use for development - it is pretty good to get your appetite going, but it has limitations you will find very quickly.

I am guessing that you use the exe version of Boa as the about page reads 2.8.4.0 and you say you have 2.8.8.0 installed. Instead of using the ".bin.setup.exe" install use the ".src.setup.exe" or even better the cvs version of Boa (the later two are pure Python code and you can use it with Python 2.4 or 2.5 - so I can not remember what version Riaan used to build the exe version with).

Werner

• Stephen Wong

Stephen Wong - 2008-07-22

Thanks Werner for the super-fast reply!

How do I go about getting the CVS version?   I see that I can browse the CVS repository but I'm not sure which things to get.   I don't have a CVS client at the moment.

• Werner F. Bruhin

Stephen,

You are welcome.

You will need a CVS client, I am on Windows and use TortoiseCVS

Here the CVS command line instructions:
        http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/Installation.html#cvs

There are some TortoiseCVS specific ones on the Boa gmane list (gmane.comp.ide.boa-constructor.user), but I can not get to them at the moment.

Werner

• Stephen Wong

Stephen Wong - 2008-08-11

Success!  Thank you!
          I was able to get the source code from the CVS (used Tortoise CVS) and it appears to work fine with Numpy.  

Could someone please post the version that is in the CVS as a "download" in Sourceforge so that my students can get it without going through CVS?  It's 50 MB size makes it a too big to post on something like Google Sites, besides, most of the source isn't needed by students anyway.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what is and is not needed to run.

Even better would be to recompile the latest Boa into an EXE install.   That form is the easiest for students to use.

Thank you again for all your help!

• Werner F. Bruhin

Riaan is working on a release but there is no time set when it will be done.

By when would you need it for your students?

I would not recommend the compiled/py2exe'd version as there are limitations, especially if you want to use such things as the latest NUMPY.

Werner

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks