open (from Explorer) into existing app?

Help
2004-02-17
2004-02-18
  • Tim Diggins

Tim Diggins - 2004-02-17

Hi  -

is there a way for Boa to respond to an Explorer "open" using an existing instance of Boa (e.g. by using DDE)? I thought I saw a preference option for this when I was initially browsing, but now can't.

many thanks

Tim

(Sorry for all the piles of questions - I'm starting to need to customise Boa more intensively, beacuse it's becoming my IDE of choice - (moving from PythonWin) - initially because of BicycleRepairMan support, and now because, well, I like it! )

• Riaan Booysen

Riaan Booysen - 2004-02-17

Hi Tim,

Boa used to use DDE to implement this feature but it was reimplemented using sockets to be cross-platform.

So the feature is already there and on by default.

To use it simply call Boa.py with a filename as parameter (or drop a Python file on a shortcut for Boa) and it will be passed to an already running instance if it exists.

And feel free to ask questions!

Cheers,
      Riaan.

• Tim Diggins

Tim Diggins - 2004-02-18

superb!

however:
        1) note that this only works with boa.py (I had my shortcuts pointing to boa.pyw - even when you add an explicit pythonw boa.pyw it will open a new boa instance on drag and drop). only a problem because (i think) the docs suggest making a shortcut to the pyw.

2) it doesn't restore& bring to front boa - this would be desired behaviour, I think - certainly it's what scite and pythonw do, and feels natural.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks