cant start help under windows

Help
2008-04-29
2013-05-01
  • Matthias Sommer

Matthias Sommer - 2008-04-29

Hello,

i just installed boa constructor on two systems, one linux (this box) that throws an error when launching help from the panel window but then shows the help. That's the one I can live with...

The other one runs on windows XP (pro, SP2 installed). Boa itself seems to run, but if I try to activate help from the panel, boa starts to add books and on "...\Boa Constructor\Docs\python.htb" it hangs forever. 

What can I do to get help on the second box?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings
    Matthias Sommer

• Werner F. Bruhin

Hi Matthias,

What version of Boa have you on the XP machine and which installer did you use?

I run Boa daily on Vista (have run it on my XP and 2000 machine in the past) and started using it on Ubuntu and don't see this problem.

What do you mean by "activating help from the panel"?

Werner

• Matthias Sommer

Matthias Sommer - 2008-04-30

Hello,

OK, lets go into some more detail:
        I have 0.6.1 installed from the windows binary installer (the .exe version)

BTW.: wxPython is 2.8.7.1 unicode, python is 2.5.2

Activating help means clicking one of the three help icons (the books with question mark) from the top panel.
        Doing so starts adding the help books. The first two boa.apphelp.htb and boa.guide.htb do work, but python.htb stalls boa - no more response.

Greetings
        Matthias

• Werner F. Bruhin

Matthias,

I don't use the .exe normally, but have it on my system for testing.  I just tried it with the 0.6.1 exe and it works for me - not very helpful for you I know.

Why are you using the .exe install of Boa?  If you want to do development and use Python modules which are not included with this .exe you will run into problems.

I would suggest that you install the source (either from CVS or this "boa-constructor-0.6.1.src.win32.exe" or even the src.zip and unzip it to where you want it and create a shortcut which runs Boa.pyw.

Werner

• Werner F. Bruhin

Oh, what is the error you see on your Linux box?

Werner

• Matthias Sommer

Hello,

I had assumed the .exe installer does the same like the manual install from the sources - only for lazy people.
      I will give it another try from the source.

On Linux (FaunOS to be more specific, based on Arch Linux, python and wxPython from the systems repositories, Boa from the source zip file) I get the following traceback:

15:26:38: Traceback (most recent call last):
      15:26:38:   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/boa/Palette.py", line 224, in OnHelpToolClick     Help.showMainHelp(self.paletteHelpItems['boa'])
      15:26:38:   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/boa/Help.py", line 261, in showMainHelp     getHelpController().Display(bookname).ExpandBook(bookname)
      15:26:38:   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/boa/Help.py", line 323, in Display     self.frameX = wxHelpFrameEx(self)
      15:26:38:   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/boa/Help.py", line 425, in __init__     self.indexPanel.GetChildren()[:3]
      15:26:38:   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 8214, in __getitem__     return _core_.WindowList___getitem__(*args, **kwargs)
      15:26:38: TypeError: in method 'WindowList___getitem__', expected argument 2 of type 'size_t'

Greetings
      Matthias

• Werner F. Bruhin

Matthias,

I think this is fixed in CVS, try changing line 435 in boa\help.py

self.indexTextCtrl, btn1, btn2 = \                 self.indexPanel.GetChildren()[:3]

to:
                self.indexTextCtrl, btn1, btn2 = \                 list(self.indexPanel.GetChildren())[:3]

This has to do with a change to GetChildren in wxPython 2.8.4.2

There is also an issue with GridBagSizer in relation to this which should get fixed in wxPython in the next release (I guess 2.9).

To work around that I have my wx.pth set to wx-2.8.4.0-msw-ansi and in my app I force it using:
            import wxversion
            wxversion.select('2.8-unicode')

I guess I could also have left my wx.pth alone and forced Boa to use 2.8.4.0.

Hope this helps
        Werner

• Matthias Sommer

Hello,

this indeed did help, but it's line 425 not 435 :-)

Thanks!

Now I have to reinstall the Windows Version...

Greetings
      Matthias

• Werner F. Bruhin

Must be Vista trying to correct my typing:).

No serious, sorry for typo.
        Werner

• Matthias Sommer

Hello,

no problem, I'm able to use a search function  :-)

I just reinstalled on the windows box from the sources - same result, hangs at adding python.htb  :-(
      BTW.: Even the boa help recommends:  "Use the installer for Boa (files ending in "win32.exe" "

Greetings
      Matthias

• Werner F. Bruhin

Matthias,

"... "Use the installer for Boa (files ending in "win32.exe" "

That is fine, the bin.setup.exe is the problematic one, it is nice to get a quick feel about Boa as you do not need any dependencies (Python, wxPython), but I wouldn't use it for dev.

The src.win32.exe is fine, sorry if I was unclear on this.

About the help problem, just a guess at this point.
        - there is a docs-cache folder, maybe this is corrupted.
        on Vista this is in: C:\Users\youruserid\.boa-constructor\docs-cache
        on XP something like: C:\Documents and Settings\youruserid\.boa-constructor\docs-cache

Exit Boa, then clear this folder, open Boa and press Ctrl-H and enter or use the Toolbar icons for help.

Hope this helps
        Werner

• Matthias Sommer

Hello,

just out of couriosity I just installed the whole system on my private windows machine (this time using the src.win32.exe installer - here the help starts fine. And the books are added way faster than the two books the other machine does load before hanging. But this box here is slower than the other one...

I will check the docs-cache on monday and report back.

Have a nice holiday (by name I assume you come from Germany too?)
      Matthias

• Werner F. Bruhin

Very strange.

Close, i.e. I am Swiss (German) but living in the South of France.

Have a nice holiday too
        Werner

• Matthias Sommer

Matthias Sommer - 2008-05-05

Hello,

I'm back at the office and just tried again. I located the docs-cache - at my network home directory, cleared it and restarted Boa. It hang's again. Can I move the .boa-constructor to another dir? Maybe a local one would help.

Greetings
      Matthias

• Werner F. Bruhin

The "-O" should do the trick.

-O .boa-constructor-mine

Werner

• Matthias Sommer

Big Thanks! -O indeed did the trick, not only to get a local .boa-constructor but also to get the help system started! Must have been a hang due to the network drive...

Thanks again!

Greetings
      Matthias

• Werner F. Bruhin

Great that it works now.

Any chance that the reason for the problem was some quote/size restriction on the network drive?

Werner

• Matthias Sommer

I dont think it's caused by quote/size restrictions. I just checked the size of the .boa-constructor directory on my home linux box, it's 3.6 MB. That much space should be available without problems. I had much larger files there occasionally...

Greetings
      Matthias

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks