Modal dialogs

Help
active8
2004-09-06
2004-09-06
  • active8

active8 - 2004-09-06

I create a modal dialog class from my main frame. That class' __init__ function is:

def __init__(self, parent):
            self._init_ctrls(parent)
            self.prnt = parent
            ret = self.ShowModal()
            self.EndModal(ret)

I'm wondering whether it's better to do:

dlgNew = newDlg.create(self)
    ret = dlgNew.ShowModal()
    dlgNew.EndModal(ret)

in the main frame - after the instanciation of the dialog class and it's subsequent __init__ call.

Personally, I think it's better to do it in the __init__ function to keep all that implementation out of the main frame code, but maybe someone knows a reason  to do otherwise.

TIA

Mike

• active8

active8 - 2004-09-06

Oops! It doesn't make sense to call EndModal(ret) if ret won't be set until ShowModal returns which won't happen until the dialog is dismissed with EndModal.

The problem I can't wrap my mind around is that I want to call EndModal from an OK button or cancel button event handler - I'll do:

EndModal(0)

But I don't know what happens when the close button "x" is clicked, i.e., do I still need to call EndModal?

I'd hope that was in the default close event code.

If I call EndModal in the handler and the "x" is clicked instead, I'd need it in the main frame code - don't know if calling EndModal twice will hurt or not, other than redundant code.

But if I don't call EndModal in the handler, the dialog will never dismiss.

All this circular stuff is making me dizzy :)

TIA
      Mike

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks