How can I help?

Anonymous
2003-02-15
2003-02-25
  • Anonymous - 2003-02-15

Veteran programmer, comparative newbie in Python, just discovered Boa and fell in love with it.  Looks like it could be the answer to some long-standing productivity problems.  Maybe premature to offer to help,  but I'm open to requests. 

Just went through the tutorial, found multiple places where "import string" had to be added by hand.  I'm wondering if  Boa could be made self-correcting in cases like that where the fix is obvious.  Maybe other needs are more urgent?  What should I spend time on?

• Robert Boulanger

Thanks for the offer. Contributions are always welcome.
      From my point of view documentation is the most needed thing right now. But wait for a reply from Riaan (who is out of country currently, so it might take some days), he coordinates thats better than me.

Robert Boulanger

• Riaan Booysen

Riaan Booysen - 2003-02-25

Hi David,

Contributions are (as always) welcome.

My best advice for you is to test, find and fix bugs, and submit patches (either through SF or mail me directly)

The 'import string' problems have been fixed in CVS for a while now.

If you want to extend Boa, focus on the areas that interest you the most.

As Robert noted, improved documentation would be very welcome.

Cheers,
      Riaan.

• Anonymous - 2003-02-25

Thanks riaan for the advice.  Will take a look at documentation.  I did see some nitpicky things that should be fixed, but I guess before I do anything major I need to know more so I can tell what would have helped me.  What I think I need to know now is which controls can be embedded within which others, and what special cases exist (like the statusbar).

I found an apparent bug in wxPython or wxWindows: the EditableListBox control crashes not only Boa but the wxPython demo.  I've downloaded wxPython source but suspect the problem is peculiar to my setup. I'm  using Windows 2000 (I know, dont ask).

I guess the kind of extensions I'd like to look at would be to extend Boa to cover a larger set of classes, reducing the amount of hand coding needed.   Once I really know what I'm doing I might think about adapting it as an IDE for other languages.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks