Menu

Change request for libMXFs 'writeavidmxf' tool

Tobi B
2016-04-07
2016-04-14
  • Tobi B

Tobi B - 2016-04-07

Hey guys,

I already sent this in a message to Philip but maybe this can also be done by someone else. But first of all, a big thank you for the great work you do for this project! We are very happy that we can use the 'writeavidmxf' tool to create MXFs from .raw video and add metadata to it. However when trying to wrap these MXFs into an AAF using the AAF SDK (http://aaf.sourceforge.net/) I ran into some issues. The first thing is that 'writeavidmxf' does not set the "ProductVersion" of the application that created/modified the MXF. There also seems to be a bug when setting the "VideoLineMap" where parts of the code assume the attribute videoLineMapLen is by default set to 1, which however is not the case. Both of these problems lead to the MXF not being able to pass the checks of AAF.
    To fix this, you would only need to add the following two lines to 'write_avid_mxf.c' (https://sourceforge.net/p/bmxlib/libmxf/ci/master/tree/examples/writeavidmxf/write_avid_mxf.c):
    After line 1011, insert:
    CHK_ORET(mxf_avid_set_product_version_item(writer->identSet, &MXF_ITEM_K(Identification, ProductVersion), mxf_get_version()));
    After line 1199, insert:
    newTrackWriter->videoLineMapLen = 1;
    Would it be possible to include these minor changes into the repo? Since we very much rely on this tool, we would highly appreciate if you could include this fix as soon as possible.

Thank you very much in advance!
    Tobi

Last edit: Tobi B 2016-04-07
  • Philip de Nier

Philip de Nier - 2016-04-11

I would suggest you move over to raw2bmx as writeavidmxf is no longer maintained and raw2bmx has the functionality you need. However, I'll look at making these changes as they are straightforward and the video line map bug should be fixed.

I don't understand what the issue is with the application product version. It is an optional property and the AAF SDK tools I just tried are happy for it not to be there. What do you mean by wrapping MXF into an AAF?

Philip

• Tobi B

Tobi B - 2016-04-11

Great, thank you! I'll definitely take a look at raw2bmx.
    By 'wrapping', I simply mean taking one or multiple MXFs and putting them into a timeline in an AAF file.
    I can of course understand if you don't want to include the product version because it's optional, we just like to store this information to better track down any issues and to be able to create MXFs that are compatible with software that might expect this attribute.

• Philip de Nier

Philip de Nier - 2016-04-12

I've pushed the 2 changes to the repository.

Philip

• Tobi B

Tobi B - 2016-04-14

Perfect, thank you very much!
    We did some tests with raw2bmx and we're really happy with it. We might be able to switch to it soon, so that we're using a tool that is fully maintained...
    Thanks again for your great help!

Tobi