Menu

Fixed the old bug (also in 0.8), where organisms disappeared from the world :)!

MarcoA
2015-04-09
2015-04-16
  • MarcoA

MarcoA - 2015-04-09

Great news!

It was a division by 0 error in touchMove()

double modn = Math.sqrt(nx * nx + ny * ny);
    // The bug fix
    if (modn == 0) {
    modn = 0.000000000000001;
    }
    //
    nx /= modn;
    ny /= modn;

modn can become 0 and then there is the fatal division, and nx/ny will be NaN, and the consequences are catastrophic for both colliding organisms.

Found it by debugging for many hours, but I am really happy now.

I will upload the fixed 1.41 now :)

• AdaM

AdaM - 2015-04-10

Interesting... I found similar code in the new_design branch and hence in my X Mod as well.

As far as I understand the code, nx and ny are intended to be the components of a vector that is perpendicular to the segment which has been hit. Initially, this vector is calculated from the end points of the segment that has been hit by a simple rotation (at least in new_design). Yet the vector is not normalized, and this is done by dividing each component by the length of the original vector.

A division by 0 error would mean, that the original vector had the lenght 0.

I wonder how this is possible, because originally the length of a segment is limited to be at least 2.

Do you have a clue when a segment has length=0?

• MarcoA

MarcoA - 2015-04-10

Segment lengths are scaled down and if they get too small m[]/m[i] (effective segment length) becomes 0. This is also the reason, why organisms whose segments are all smaller than 2.5 (sometimes larger) disappear too. Because they get a _mass and _I (Inertia) of 0 this will also create division by 0 errors.

I really don´t want to ban segments smaller than 4 and these miniature organisms die immediately and don´t disturb the simulation.

But I have to reinstate the killing mechanism for these stillbirths.
    Normally, it shouldn´t be a problem (they die and decay), but if someone wants to play with immortal organisms (like in your mod), they would accumulate because they also don´t breath, because organisms without mass don´t need to xD.

Last edit: MarcoA 2015-04-10
    • AdaM

AdaM - 2015-04-16

I should try to to simulate it with biogenesis v0.8. The bug never appeared in the X Mod yet, although I was running a simulation with many (also small) organisms and had a conditional breakpoint that checked for segment lenght = 0.

• MarcoA

MarcoA - 2015-04-10

Quote:"But I have to reinstate the killing mechanism for these stillbirths.
    Normally, it shouldn´t be a problem (they die and decay), but if someone wants to play with immortal organisms (like in your mod), they would accumulate because they also don´t breath, because organisms without mass don´t need to xD."

Ok, I even think that it slows the game down noticeably, if this mechanism isn´t in the simulation.

I will upload a new jar.file. Please download again.