Menu

Biodiversity Graph

2014-11-10
2014-11-13
  • Spencer Chrysler

It would be awesome to see the biodiversity of this amazing game. You could implement a graph in the statistics tab that measures the amount of species, the average number of organisms per species, and the genetic diversity of each species.

How would one measure biodiversity? Thinking out loud here, but if two organisms have more than a 0.2% difference in their genetic lab, then they are of a different species. I pulled that number out of my head, so it may be a bad idea to do that.

I don't know much about computer coding, but I am assuming that it would be quite laggy if the applet was constantly measuring every pair of species...solution: the two organisms have to be about 20px in proximity with one another? Also, this adds the idea of geographic separation. :) any thoughts?

• Tyler

Tyler - 2014-11-10

Hello again Spencer! Appreciate the suggestion. This may be the most recent discussion on that topic: https://sourceforge.net/p/biogenesis/discussion/571709/thread/a73d2ae5/. Summary is that we could code a family tree for either interactive or noninteractive species analysis, and that it would be best to use a list of 8 or so "most significant" mutations. This was MarcoA's list, which I tend to agree with:

Significant:
    Number of genes: obvious
    Length: for consumers even small differences are very important
    Rotation: small differences can be very important for plants that protect themselves
    Color: obvious
    Symmetry: obvious
    Mirror: obvious
    Passive: = color change for CYAN, TEAL doesn´t roam the map

Borderline significant:
    Altruist
    Modify

Nonsignificant:
    Disperse children
    Clockwise
    Mimic all
    All reaction genes

I once made a proof of concept version, (where it is now, I don't remember,) showing that it seemed feasible to highlight a group of related organisms in-game. It relied on each organism having a pointer back to it's group's eldest common ancestor, such that the group had no significant differences amongst itself. I could also adjust the limit to how many mutations were allowed!

Theoretically, this would allow for "family tree" type visualization and, with minor modification, biodiversity analysis. (Such data visualization could range from simple to very complex.) Next version maybe, if you can find a programmer that could/would make a next version! When I was ambitiously coding/brainstorming on this project, this idea was on my short list.

• Spencer Chrysler

Some good suggestions. I really hope something like that can be added in the future.

• MarcoA

MarcoA - 2014-11-13

If someone wants to do this, I am surely not against it. ;)
    But it isn´t probably that important for myself to struggle with its implementation.
    For an amateur, it is simply easier to do what I know to do.

By the way, I don´t know, what I will do myself, after I have released 1.4

P.S: There is no color change for Cyan anymore, Spring is its own color.