Menu

nbib2xml recognizes only "Journal article" genre type

2021-09-15
2021-09-24
  • Nina Birych

Nina Birych - 2021-09-15

It looks like only "Journal article" and "News" PT field values are recognized as a Genre (both are treated as "journal article"). Other values are not recognized and get defaulted to "journal article".
    Could you please clarify if this a bug or expected behavior (e.g. because nbib files could contain only journal article references)?
    Please see test reference of Book type attached

• Chris Putnam

Chris Putnam - 2021-09-17

It's expected behavior with the current version of the program. I'd never seen an example of a nbib book before. But in looking at some documentation, the "BTI" tag is "Book Title", so clearly Book is ok. I've just added it to my local source and hope to upload it sometime soon (after I get done with some teaching).

• Nina Birych

Nina Birych - 2021-09-22

Thanks for your reply.
    Are there any other type apart of Journal article/News/Book that could be present in nbib files and should be considered? It is mentioned here that:

Almost all citations have one of these four basic, most frequently used Publication Types applied to them: Journal Article, Letter, Editorial, News. One of the above four Publication Types is applied to more than 99% of all citations indexed for MEDLINE.

On this page the full list of publication types is listed (and there is no Book type)

• Chris Putnam

Chris Putnam - 2021-09-22

I have no deep understanding of nbib formats, other than looking at examples and websites like you cited.

But I think that you are running into the general problem that bibutils has always faced. That is that there are valid reference types (and data) that can be expressed in one format that simply don't exist in another format. Many people have asked that such "unexpressible" content be retained, but my response is always "show me what you would like it to look like". Some people have good ideas, other people don't.

I try very hard to handle the "officially" accepted version of different formats, and I attempt to accommodate common variations that I see in examples or that people ask me to handle (so long as it doesn't break the "official" version of the format).

I can have the nbib input handle Journal Article/Letter/Editorial/News, but in the context of PubMed, these almost always correpsond to something that's been published in an academic journal. The "Letter" type, for example, is presumably some letter to the journal (and not say a Nature "Letter" format article), but it isn't a "personal communication" corresponding to a letter between friends, so conversion to that type in other formats would be wrong.

What is the final bibliography format you're targeting? What would you like Letter/Editorial/News references to look like in that format?

• Nina Birych

Nina Birych - 2021-09-24

Let me clarify that with team, please.