Could the xxx2xml converters support again the "-o --output-encoding" command line switch?

2012-12-15
2013-05-28
  • Matthias Steffens

Hi,

the xxx2xml converters from Bibutils v3.xx (e.g., v3.40) did support the "-o --output-encoding" command line switch. In Bibutils v4.xx, this isn't the case anymore since the default output for MODS is utf8-encoded unicode. While this is generally the desired option (and thus a fine default setting), I'd love to see the xxx2xml converters again support the "-o --output-encoding" option.

The reason behind this request is that we (refbase.net) have still quite a few users with iso8859-1 server databases & encodings. Besides supporting UTF-8 Unicode, refbase honours such latin1-based workflows.

However, the problem arises when these users want to use a modern Bibutils version which doesn't support output of MODS XML with iso8859-1 encoding anymore.

If it can be done easily, I'd love to again be able to use commands like these:

bib2xml -i iso8859_1 -o iso8859_1 file.bib > mods.xml
    xml2ris -i iso8859_1 -o iso8859_1 mods.xml > file.ris

Thanks, Matthias

• Chris Putnam

Chris Putnam - 2013-01-10

This should be possible. I'll look into it for version 4.17. I wanted to get a lot of the really important bug fixes out for 4.16 as soon as I could.

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Chris,

it would be really great if the xxx2xml converters could again support the -o --output-encoding command line switch in an upcoming Bibutils version.

Many thanks for considering this,
    Matthias

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Chris, many thanks for supporting again the -o --output-encoding for the xxx2xml converters! I couldn't test Bibutils v5.0 yet but will do so soon.

Cheers, Matthias