Help With Basilisk II (JIT)

Help
megamanfan
2006-07-31
2013-01-11
  • megamanfan

megamanfan - 2006-07-31

When I try to boot up the emulated Mac under Basilisk II (JIT) it just gives me a floppy with a question mark. If anyone of you know the step-by-step process of running a Mac OS 7.5.5 under that emulator, then thank you for your time for helping me.

• Anonymous - 2006-11-22

I haven't actually gotten Basilisk running myself as of yet, but the general idea is that you have to 'mount' the drive image from which you want to boot. First, you need a disk image. If you're running Mac OS X or Linux (or any other type of Unix-based OS), use the command (from a command prompt or terminal):
      dd if=/dev/zero of=<image-name> bs=1048576 count=<Megabytes>
      substitute <image-name> with the name of the file that you want to create, and substitute <Megabytes> with the number of Megabytes you wish to use for the disk image. You MUST have that much disk space available on your physical Hard Drive. Usual convention for an naming a disk image is to use a .img or .dsk extension. Then, you must somehow instruct Basilisk II to open that image as the Hard Disk.

If you're using Windows, try hfvexplorer program here:
      ftp://ftp.uni-freiburg.de/pub/pc/msdos/diskutil/mac/hfvexplorer131.zip

You also need a CD of the Operating system that you want to install, and mount that as the Virtual CD. Alternatively, use a CD image (usually ends with .ISO) if Basilisk II supports it.

All-in-all, the instructions for this should be similar to the setup for Mini-VMac Emulator:
      http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/

Want to run a Mac emulator from a USB Flash Drive? Check out Mac-on-a-Stick:
      http://nothickmanuals.info/doku.php?id=minivmac

Note that MiniVmac ONLY WORKS with the older m68k architecture, and therefore, with Mac System 7 and below. It does NOT support the PowerPC hardware or the MacOS 7 or above.

• BPzeBanshee

BPzeBanshee - 2007-05-15

But what if you have System 7.5.3 WITHOUT all the PowerPC junk?
      Would it still work there?