Mounting a Floppy?

Help
2005-07-15
2013-01-11
  • Will Mullen

Will Mullen - 2005-07-15

I tried searching this and other Fora for an answer without success.

I have some old Mac Floppies that I have copied to my Powerbook. When I try to install from one of them while inside Basilisk, the system asks me to mount the Floppy. What is the method I should use to do this? If it involves creating a Disk Image file, what utility should I use?

The file utility that came with my Powerbook created images with a .DMG extension. These images crashed Basilisk when I tried to mount them.

• pinky

pinky - 2005-07-17

I think Powerbook is the Macintosh laptop, right? Well my experience with Basilisk II and floppy drives is limited to PC, both windows & linux versions. I will tell you what I know.

I have found that the easiest way to access the contents of an old Macintosh floppy is to create an image of the floppy and define the floppy image as a disk in the basilisk_ii_prefs file. Then the floppy shows up as a hard drive in basilisk. Note that PCs can only read 1440k floppies, and it doesn't always work (I get a failure rate of about 1 in 15). I make the floppy image in linux using the dd command:

bash$ dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy_image.dsk

Theoretically, if you have a floppy drive on your workstation then you should be able to use it with basilisk. On PCs, only 1440k floppies will work. I have tested under windows, and found that sometimes it works but it is unreliable - for instance, I could see the folders on the floppy, but I couldn't read the files. Under linux I couldn't get the floppy drive to work with basilisk at all even though I was able to mount the same floppy as type hfs from the shell.

Remember that when you use floppy drives on a PC with basilisk you must use the CTRL-SHIFT-F1 or CTRL-SHIFT-F11 key combination to mount the floppy. These directions are buried in a readme file in the source tarball.

All of this may be different on your powerbook, but maybe it helps.

• Spencer

Spencer - 2006-04-03

the dd command works for OSX too, although the dev file for the floppy drive is different. It is often /dev/disk1 or /dev/disk2. If you open Disk Utility and do a get info on the floppy it should tell you what file it comes from.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks