Menu

BASIC OS

2002-02-05
2002-04-28
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I just wanted to start this thread to discuss, well, a BASIC writen opererating system.  There has already been some input under the 'Self-compilable BASICs (again)' thread.  I wanted to centralize any comments put toward this idea.  Let me know how you feel about this.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Not possible.  That's my humble opinion :)

More importantly, not worth the trouble to even think about.  An operating system's quality is not defined by the language it's written in, so just starting with the bases of a 'BASIC' operating system is almost pointless.

If it's just to showcase the power of BASIC, there are much better (more realistic) alternatives (i.e. 3-d engines, compilers, servers).

Regards,
      Anthony Liguori

• Nobody/Anonymous

Good point.  I see what you are saying, but what if a simple system was created.  It could always be added on from there.  It would not need to be comparable to anything that is available today.  In fact, that would be an imposible goal to start out with.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Good point.  I see what you are saying, but what if a simple system was created.  It could always be added on from there.  It would not need to be comparable to anything that is available today.  In fact, that would be an imposible goal to start out with.

• Nobody/Anonymous

sorry about the double post

• Dejan Lekic

Dejan Lekic - 2002-02-12

My opinion about BASIC OS is - why not!? - That can be some EXPERIMENTAL part of "GNU BASIC" project we should start imediatelly. I'll write some specification about everything and mail it to all BASIC developers on BASIC foundry and ask them for opinion(s)...

• Nobody/Anonymous