I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 (non server) but desire to run some server type aps. In looking for a centralized backup solution I settled on BackupPC. Not being a unix expert I figured having the GUI would help. Well I have a few issues!
- I can access the webpage from the Ubuntu box
- I can access the webpage from windows boxes in the house
- First attempt at install I was able to start a backup (however it ignored my "only" list) of a windows box. The desktop/server needed some work as it looks like ssh and some other items are NOT installed yet, but Windows boxes first!
- I had to reinstall (see below) and am starting from scratch..
- Ok.. I can't even change backuppc password! I figured I would su over to backuppc but that doesn't even work. How do I change the password on Ubuntu? Here is what I get. I figure that the reason I get the read/write is due to the permissions on the file. It looks like all the directories were setup at install to be owned by "backuppc - BackupPC" and group "www-data"
travis@TAS-Server:~$ su backuppc
su: Authentication failure
travis@TAS-Server:~$ htpasswd /etc/backuppc/htpasswd backuppc
htpasswd: cannot open file /etc/backuppc/htpasswd for read/write access
- Ubuntu seems to install (without a prompt) the data directory at /var/lib/backuppc (owner: backuppc / group: backuppc). I really want to change this as that is NOT where I reserved space. I have a mount at /data01 on my system that is a 1TB drive I setup FOR my backups. (previous server backups ran on clients and sent them here)
- I did read some of the things I found and it looked like in my version I could just change TopDir (which is NOT in the GUI) but when I tired, I broke the web GUI. My guess is that I changed the file using root and I then had a permission issue.
- This really gets me back to, how should I be changing these files? Seems I am logged in as a "user" and have no way to login as backuppc user to modify the files and keep the permissions the same. If I do them as root (sudo) I think things go bad as it changes owernship on me.
Thanks for any and all help. Once this is setup I know it is going to "just work". Just need to learn these base issues and don't want to screw things up. I did try to add my user to the backuppc group, but the group only has access permissions. Before I go messing things up (again) looking for advice.