Menu

PPC Conversion Tracking

2004-10-12
2012-10-11
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Is there any way I can use AWstats to track actual conversion rates for PPC campaigns ?

• Thorsten Franzke

Well, you can track hits from a PPC campaign, but I wouldn't know of a way how you could track conversions. Unless you have a cookie system that adds a specially crafted request to the logfiles.

The problem is that awstats needed to keep track of every single session and see if a hit that came through a campaign and that started the session also led to a conversion (=> most of the times look for a HTTP POST).
      The problems you will be confronted with are the following:

• What is with users from AOL (several different IP's, sometimes hard to tell if it still is the same user)
      • What is with users coming through proxies?
      • What is with cost-sensitive users disconnecting and reconnection?
      • How to do this on heavy load server = heavy CPU load for tracking sessions
        *etc.

Ususally using the PPC supplier's conversion system (as offered by Google, Overture, etc.) is the better method of measuring success. However, even with those system you won't be able to conversions from customers calling or writing an email instead of using the webservers shopping system.

Best regards,

tfranzke

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hey thanks ... guess I'll have to look for a specific conversion tracjking script to do this job

• Thorsten Franzke

Have a look at Google's conversion tracking system as an example:

https://adwords.google.com/select/faq/conversions.html

Best regards,

tfranzke