geoip stuck without displaying error

dafu
2014-02-02
2014-03-02
  • dafu

dafu - 2014-02-02

Hi,

i'm trying for several days now to get my geoip-plugin working. I read config-file (awstats.ccn.conf) and searched this forum without success.

My setup: Win 7
    AWStats 7.3
    ActiveState Perl (5.16.3)

I have installed Geo::IP::PurePerl. The PackageManager lists this module under "installed"

The Plugin "geoip.pm" is located in the folder "plugins". I did not modify anything in the config-file regarding the location of plugins.

I placed the GeoIP.dat in the same folder as awstats.pl.

My config line is: LoadPlugin="geoip GEOIP_STANDARD GeoIP.dat"
    I also tried LoadPlugin="geoip GEOIP_STANDARD .\GeoIP.dat"

Executing the command:
    awstats.pl -config=ccn -update
    produces the following output:

Create/Update database for config "F:\Programme\webalizer\AWStats\awstats-7.3\ww
    wroot\cgi-bin/awstats.ccn.conf" by AWStats version 7.3 (build 20140126)
    From data in log file "F:\Programme\webalizer\logs\2013\access.log.2013"...
    Phase 1 : First bypass old records, searching new record...
    Searching new records from beginning of log file...
    Phase 2 : Now process new records (Flush history on disk after 20000 hosts)...

At this point, the script is stuck until I cancel. The longest run was about 2 hours.

If I mark the LoadPlugin line for GeoIP as a comment, the update process takes about 2 mins and works fine.

What do I have to do, to make the geoip-plugin work?

Thanks

• jockee

jockee - 2014-02-04

I would suggest to use the full path to GeoIP.dat in the config file.

• dafu

dafu - 2014-02-04

Thanks for your response. But the absolute path to the GeoIP.dat file doesn't solve the problem. I'm still stuck with no different output.

I use the full path to the log-file. So I assume there is no mistake with the path. I also copied it from the explorer and it contains no blanks or special chars.

• dafu

dafu - 2014-02-12

any other ideas? I don't have a clue why it's not working ...

• dafu

dafu - 2014-03-02

GeoIP-plugin works. I tested it with a little perl script.

running awstats -update with parameter debug=2 reveals, that the plugin is working - but ultra slow.

without the plugin, a ~150MB log-file is processed in about two minutes. Processing a 8MB log-file with activated plugin took 24 minutes.

the cpu- and ram-usage is about .1% and 15MB. On a desktop-machine thats nothing.

any ideas, why it's that slow?

thanks in advance

• dafu

dafu - 2014-03-02

I finally found the exact issue. I use 1und1 hosting, an the server has a log-format similar to clf. the point is: the ip-adresses are listed somewhat like: 123.45.67.x

An the "x" causes GeoIP to not get a result and to take a long time to finish the request.

For now, I replace the "x" with a "1" via texteditor. I'll write me a little perl-script to do that and all should be fine.