since awka sorts on the index I have this code to correct it:

function arrsort(source,dest,   mode,s,value){
            if (argcount()==1){
                for (s in source){
                        delete source[s]
                return asort(source)
                for (s in source){
                return asort(dest)

I have tested 4 different approaches to array sorting in awka ("using shell sort", implementing "quick-sort",using SORTTYPE,and this using awka asort). A comparison on the speed with an array of 100000 gave the following ranking
    1. using awka asort
    2. using SORTTYPE
    3. using shell sort
    4. quick sort.

so I stick with the faulty awka asort..

Btw I know that adding to an array inside a for (s in array) is NOT recommendable in POSIX "strange things might happen" but it seems to work in awka.. 

The really irritating thing is that I can't call this function asort.. it won't compile!?!? .. according to the awka manpages asort alength etc should be "extra" functions and should be superseded by a user defined function with the same name..??

Maybe I have to use an earlier version of awka when these two functions were still not core functions??.. Someday I will have to investigate this.. does anyone know of a change log somewhere??

In the mean time I'm  using a awka script to "parse" the source and replace all asort with arrsort and all length with awkalength then I include these functions before compilation.. It actually works pretty good..

I'm so sad that awka is not developed further.. it is in spite of its (small) faults a very impressive creation.. Maybe I have to finally take that dreaded course in C and try build an ELM library… gulp!

/Still a big awka fan

• orvar ehn

orvar ehn - 2010-10-28

Gahhhh.. stupid sourceforge look at my beautiful code.. It is strange that the code tags dosen't turn of the other tags..

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks