Table Exclusion via wildcard

Help
Anonymous
2011-09-13
2014-01-02
  • Anonymous - 2011-09-13

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to exclude tables that are generated automatically by my application. I have the following in my config file:

# List of tables to exclude, in the form db_name.table_name
    CONFIG_table_exclude=(Foo.Live_*)

And a small sampling of the databases I want excluded:

| Live_22_12_Sep_2011_167772170_1 |
    | Live_22_12_Sep_2011_167772171_1 |
    | Live_22_12_Sep_2011_167772172_1 |
    | Live_22_12_Sep_2011_167772173_1 |
    | Live_22_12_Sep_2011_168361985_1 |
    | Live_22_12_Sep_2011_169082881_1 |
    | Live_23_06_Sep_2011_167772170_1 |
    | Live_23_06_Sep_2011_167772171_1 |
    | Live_23_06_Sep_2011_167772172_1 |

Is this possible to accomplish with automysql backup?

• PittaGurneyi

PittaGurneyi - 2011-09-13

Hi,

I just took a look at mysqldump, which gets the entries from CONFIG_table_exclude as parameters and it doesn't take wildcards. However there is an easy solution for you in case you are using bash >=4.x and mysql >=5.x

Execute the following two commands on the bash shell (i.e. terminal/Konsole in KDE, etc.):

mapfile -t CONFIG_table_exclude < <(mysql -batch -silent -user="YOUR_USERNAME" -password='YOUR_PASSWORD' -e "select table_name from information_schema.tables where table_schema='Foo' and table_name like 'Live_%';")
    declare -p CONFIG_table_exclude

You have to copy the output from the last command and put it exactly AS IS into the config file instead of your line CONFIG_table_exclude=(Foo.Live_*)!
    By the way, ALWAYS put your table names, database names, etc. in single-quotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way you have done it, the array (like a collection of things) would have contained all files - if there were any - in the current working directory of the script, that means most likely where automysqlbackup is located, that begin with "Foo.Live_" because the * is a special character (a glob in bash) that means anything no matter how long.

Should you then need to manually add a few more table_excludes, the simplest way to achieve your goal is to do the following:
    CONFIG_table_exclude+=('Foo.something' 'Foo.Somethingelse' '…')
    If I remember correctly bash 3.2 is necessary for the += operator to work with arrays…
    Changing the output of declare -p CONFIG_table_exclude directly is very problematic for many reasons - just DON'T DO IT!
    Remember to put manual changes always after the initial declare -ax CONFIG_table_exclude line generated by bash.

This way - as far as I can overview the problem now - even this is possible with a bit of manual work!

I hope you like AutoMySQLBackup

• PittaGurneyi

PittaGurneyi - 2011-09-13

I forgot, that the mysql command only outputs table names and you need the database name as well … therefore we have to adjust this … sed -e 's/^/Foo./' adds "Foo." to the beginning of each line

mapfile -t CONFIG_table_exclude < <(mysql -batch -silent -user="YOUR_USERNAME" -password='YOUR_PASSWORD' -e "select table_name from information_schema.tables where table_schema='Foo' and table_name like 'Live_%';" | sed -e 's/^/Foo./')

• PittaGurneyi

PittaGurneyi - 2011-09-14

I added this functionality in the form you suggested, you just have to use single quotes, i.e.
    CONFIG_table_exclude=('Foo.Live_*')
    will work in the next beta version.

• Anonymous - 2011-09-14

Hi pittagurneyi,

Thank you for the detailed explanation and adding this to the next beta!

-Erric

• Simon Wilkinson

Simon Wilkinson - 2014-01-02

Hi,
    I know you added this to beta, has it made it's way to stable yet? I assume so.

If not, which beta was it added to?

Also is there similar functionality for entire databases?
    eg.

CONFIG_db_exclude=('dbname_BACKUP*')

Thanks

Last edit: Simon Wilkinson 2014-01-02