Err: "Please select a Java based project."

Help
2007-08-04
2013-04-15
  • Karsten Gresch

Karsten Gresch - 2007-08-04

Hi,

as you asked to submit information on the autojar plugin. When trying to export an arbitrary Java project and click the "Next" button after selecting the entry "Create jar" in the export wizard dialog, an error box "Please select a Java based project." appears. That's it.

My configuration: Eclipse 3.3 on Debian Etch/"testing", amd_64, JDK 1.6b2.

.metadata/.log says at startup (no exception etc. when the err dialog appears):

"
    !SESSION 2007-08-04 21:49:13.664 -----------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=I20070625-1500
    java.version=1.6.0_02
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=de_DE
    Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -clean

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2007-08-04 21:52:38.524
    !MESSAGE A handler conflict occurred.  This may disable some commands.
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2007-08-04 21:52:38.524
    !MESSAGE Conflict for 'AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action4':
    HandlerActivation(commandId=AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action4,
        handler=ActionDelegateHandlerProxy(null,org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.PublishScriptForWiki),
        expression=WorkbenchWindowExpression(org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow@7f162a9c),sourcePriority=16384)
    HandlerActivation(commandId=AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action4,
        handler=ActionDelegateHandlerProxy(null,org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.PublishScriptForWiki),
        expression=WorkbenchWindowExpression(org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow@7f162a9c),sourcePriority=16384)
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2007-08-04 21:52:38.525
    !MESSAGE Conflict for 'AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action5':
    HandlerActivation(commandId=AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action5,
        handler=ActionDelegateHandlerProxy(null,org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.PublishScript),
    HandlerActivation(commandId=AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action5,
        handler=ActionDelegateHandlerProxy(null,org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.PublishScript),
    !MESSAGE Conflict for 'AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action2':
    HandlerActivation(commandId=AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action2,
        handler=ActionDelegateHandlerProxy(null,org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.PublishScriptForBlogger),
    HandlerActivation(commandId=AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action2,
        handler=ActionDelegateHandlerProxy(null,org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.PublishScriptForBlogger),
    !MESSAGE Conflict for 'AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action6':
    HandlerActivation(commandId=AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action6,
        handler=ActionDelegateHandlerProxy(null,org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.PublishScriptForEmail),
    HandlerActivation(commandId=AUTOGEN:::org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.emFileContextMenu/org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.action6,
        handler=ActionDelegateHandlerProxy(null,org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.PublishScriptForEmail),
    "

Not, sure, if that's related.

Anyway, the plugin is a great approach, though I personally would have preferred an Ant or a Maven task more than the plugin. Additionally, there's the fatjar plugin, http://fjep.sf.net , (they already use autojar, at least in 0.1).

Best regards from a sunny vacation place ;-)

Karsten Gresch

• André

André - 2007-08-05

Hi Karsten,

thank you for your feedback!

This error message always appear (with the current release), if the project you clicked on is _not_ a Java based project (independent, which project you selected to export, it is important to do a right click on a Java based project  to open the export wizard).

As it is a pre-release (the current one), we collect all those helpful information to improve the functionality and usability of the next milestone. Currently, we work on supporting also _non_ Java based projects, because many people want to include resources from those kind of projects.

Stay tuned, we will post "news and noteworhy" information soon.

-André

• Karsten Gresch

Karsten Gresch - 2007-08-06

Solved: The problem mentioned only occurs if you select the "Export..." entry of the context menu from the >>>Navigator<<<, not when using the "Project Explorer".

IMHO org.sourceforge.autojar.export.ExportWizard.addPages() could rather check the project's nature, not the IStructuredSelection, but I have no clue regarding Eclipse programming in detail, just checked the sourcecode.

• Karsten Gresch

Karsten Gresch - 2007-08-06

Hi André,

sorry for my harsh "answer" above - thanks very much for your quick reply!

On the same evening I've submitted the forum post, I found the solution but couldn't finish the post, so it needs to be understood as a "self-reply", not a reply to yours. When I finally submitted it (after one day without computer), I haven't checked any replies before, therefor this somewhat bizarre anti-netiquette style.

I really appreciate autojar, which appears to be the automake equivalent for the Java world and would really like to see it some day being part of the standard!

Reports to be continued... ;-)

//KG

• André

André - 2007-08-07

Kuckuck, Karsten,

I did not read anything snappished in your email.

We will continue our work!

Cheers,
      -André

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks