Menu

Auroramon & Rpi4

2021-02-13
2022-09-13
  • Alastair Leitch

Alastair Leitch - 2021-02-13

Possibly a long shot given the age of the program and inverter. I've just loaded and got Auroramon running on a Pi4. The program is communicating with the inverter ok however I have not been able to upload my solar data to PVOutput.org. I've been through the setup on both Auroramon and PVOutput several times and can't spot where I'm messing up. The error I get is 'PVOutput.org update failed: Protocol error'. If there are still any users out there who could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate your feedback. thanks

• Alastair Leitch

Alastair Leitch - 2021-02-19

Update on my original query first. I generated a new API code from PVOutput and that solved the 'PVOutput.org update failed: Protocol error', no idea why, the original key was correctly pasted. The program is now communicating with PVOutput.org nicely : )

In response to D Borresen’s question. The download on your post is actually for a different program to the one discussed in this post, Sourceforge Aurora Monitor v 1.07 (http://auroramonitor.sourceforge.net/). If you have an Aurora brand inverter then this program should work for you with your Pi4. I can help with Aurora Monitor installation if you try installing that program and get bogged down.
    In saying that, it looks like the program you are trying to install uses wxWidgets too. I got a copy of the version 2.8.12 that Aurora Monitor needs here https://www.wxwidgets.org/downloads/

• D Borresen

D Borresen - 2021-02-19

my issue is i now can't get ether of the monitor programs working. I upgraded my Pi4 to USB boot and had to do a clean install to get it to work. Losing the set up I had for aurora-1.9.4 been unable to find the instructions i followed to install it the first time . Very sure this will just be a rookie mistake but I'm unable to solve my issues.
      i downloaded the wxWidgets file but i can't get the install instructions to work. (install-gtk.txt).

• Alastair Leitch

Alastair Leitch - 2021-02-19

To get the widgets installed I did the following. I could not get the version 3.0.5 to work with Auroramon. I unzipped the version 2.8.12 into the following folder:
    /home/pi/wxGTK-2.8.12
    In a terminal I entered:
    cd /home/pi/wxGTK-2.8.12
    ./configure
    And, from memory, that built the wxwidgets library.

Hope that works, good luck

• D Borresen

D Borresen - 2021-02-19

I've done the " ./configure " it run through got a couple of errors is that normal. eg (" Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
      The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
      *** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.
      configure: error:
      The development files for GTK+ were not found. For GTK+ 2, please
      ensure that pkg-config is in the path and that gtk+-2.0.pc is
      installed. For GTK+ 1.2 please check that gtk-config is in the path,
      and that the version is 1.2.3 or above. Also check that the
      libraries returned by 'pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --libs' or 'gtk-config
      --libs' are in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent.") this is the last section of the log not looking good to me but what do i do now.

• D Borresen

D Borresen - 2021-02-19

when I try to run "make " this is what I get
    ("g++ -O2 -s -Wall -fexceptions wx-config --cflags -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D__WXGTK__ -I. -c -fno-exceptions auroramonApp.cpp
    /bin/sh: 1: wx-config: not found
    auroramonApp.cpp:21:10: fatal error: wx/fileconf.h: No such file or directory
    #include <wx fileconf.h=""></wx>
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [Makefile:19: auroramonApp.o] Error 1 ")

• Alastair Leitch

Alastair Leitch - 2021-02-20

I remember getting similar GTK messages when I installed the wrong version to the wrong folder. I'm assuming you followed the download path for wxWidgets that I posted above. I selected the 'wxGTK 13MB' option (wxGTK-2.8.12.tar.gz) for the 'Previous Stable Release: 2.8.12' and extracted it into the folder I pasted in previous post. It worked for me, albeit with various warnings.
    I'm also assuming the errors you are getting with the 'make' command are when you are trying to compile auroramon from the folder /auroramon-1.07/src?
    At this stage I would delete auroramon-1.07 and wxGTK-2.8.12 folders and start the installation process again from the start and see how that goes.

• D Borresen

D Borresen - 2021-02-20

Thanks very much for your assistance.
      I will do the clean out and reload the files you spoke of.
      I have been at it all day and now i believe i have the other program up just testing it now. I like the one you are using so i'll keep trying. Your Pi is which one, mine is Pi4 running Buster from an SSD

• Joel Falknau

Joel Falknau - 2022-07-06

Aight so.

Raspberry Pi 4 with Debian Bullseye, had to go on a bit of a tour back in time to wrangle this one.

Thought it was going to be simple, at first i tried
    adding wheezy packages to apt
    installking libwxgtk2.8
    compiling auroramon
    This DID NOT, work, i ended up running into issues where my lib was built with a c++ version too different than auroramon

How i wrangled it

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev - Required for wxGTK to build
    installed wxGTK as per the above posters instructions, but also following wxGTK readme

wget https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/download/v2.8.12/wxGTK-2.8.12.tar.gz
    tar -xzvf wxGTK-2.8.12.tar.gz
    cd wxGTK-2.8.12.tar.gz
    mkdir buildgtk
    cd buildgtk
    ../configure --with-gtk
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    ldconfig

now

build auroramon and it launches

Update: 08/07/2022, so no need for wheezy packages at all, libgtk2.0 is still in buster

Last edit: Joel Falknau 2022-07-08
    • Alastair Leitch

Alastair Leitch - 2022-07-06

Well done, its satisfying when you find a solution that works.
      Do you by any chance know of a way to overcome the overlapping text problem ? (see examples attached). If so, could you please let me know how you did it ?

• Joel Falknau

Joel Falknau - 2022-07-07

I believe this is the relationship between the desktop environment font and size and the application.

in raspbian buster, its Preferences > Appearance Settings > System > Font
        I stuck with the default here and dialed the font size down to 10 from 12.

https://i.imgur.com/iKzq5XQ.png no overlapping text!

• Alastair Leitch

Alastair Leitch - 2022-09-13

Hi again Joel. Thanks for recording how you got wxGTK installed! My Pi died and I finally got a replacement however the new Pi just will not work with the old Pi's SD card, and despite having a backup card, I have had to reload auroramon again because of some differences in the operating system / Pi hardware since my original install a few years ago - apparently it's a common problem with replacement Pis, but it has caught me out. A real pain.

The steps in your post worked and both wxGTK and auroramon are installed. I can get auroramon running by executing auroramon in the /src folder, but I've no recollection or notes as to how to actually get auroramon running on boot-up. I've tried adding '@reboot' in crontab, but auroramon refuses to start on reboot. If your setup starts automatically on reboot, any pointers would be appreciated.
      thanks
      Alastair

• Alastair Leitch

Alastair Leitch - 2022-07-07

Joel, what an straightforward fix - something I had completely overlooked doing. Getting old. My default font had been set at 16 for some reason. 10 works perfectly. At last I can see all the data presented as it should be. Many thanks!