I spent the morning downloading, compiling, surfing,
fixing, etc, so I want to pass on my experiences re:
getting this driver to work in Redhat 8.0.
First off, make sure you get the *latest* sources from
CVS. If you've already tried building from the
downloads, be sure to remove the current driver, if
any, from /lib/modules/...
Second, create the /usr/src/linux link by typing "ln
/usr/src/linux-`uname -r` /usr/src/linux"
The driver should build fine, but insmod/modprobe will
complain that it was built with gcc2, though the kernel
was built with gcc3. Something like:
./au8830.o: The module you are trying to load
compiled with a gcc version 2 compiler, while the
are running is compiled with a gcc version 3
compiler. This is
known to not work.
Note that part of this driver's distribution is a
binary file, asp*.o, and that it was built with gcc2.
Sigh. See http://aureal.sourceforge.net/ for an
explanation, suffice it to say that sources to asp*.o
aren't available, though a reverse-engineering effort
For now, you have two options:
1) Force the module to load with insmod -f, probably in
rc.local or whereever.
2) Download a binary editor (I used bed, at
http://bedlinux.tripod.com/\), and edit the appropriate
asp*.o file. Change gcc2_compiled to gcc3_compiled.
Who knows what this might cause to happen, but it's
working for me - YMMV. Recompile & install.
Enjoy, and good luck!
Log in to post a comment.