Aureal Support in latest official ALSA driver

Help
2003-10-14
2003-12-23
  • Manuel Jander

Manuel Jander - 2003-10-14

Hello,

The latest ALSA driver tarball includes know the OpenVortex Aureal driver. This driver was written from scratch, and supports a lot more features.

http://www.alsa-project.org

For those who want to help hacking on Wavetable and A3D support, join us at

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/openvorte/

Many things are already done. my guess is that we are about at 50% do make basic A3D to work.

Best Regards

Manuel Jander

• Anonymous - 2003-10-24

Link correction :p
      http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/openvortex/

Thanks for all your work on this, got my au8820 working very easily with alsa 0.9.8.
      Can I suggest users also check out the wiki for au88x0 at
      http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=au88x0

I was wondering where the best place to post feedback on this alsa driver is? Do the devs at openvortex check these forums still or do you have a new place?

• Anonymous - 2003-10-24

Ah no matter I post here anyway.
      Setup:
      SuSe's 2.4.20 kernel, alsa 0.9.8, au8820 card.

Noticed that the channels are mixed up. If you start alsaplayer and mess with the balance slider its back to front. Same in all games I tried, left sound comes out of right speaker. Playing with the alsa mixer balance is fine though so its a problem within the au88x0 driver.

Get this error trying to play midi files and no midi playback:
      kernel: ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/drivers/mpu401/mpu401_uart.c:226: cmd: 0xff failed at 0xd48fd000 (status = 0x80, data = 0x35)

Get these errors running enemy territory game, sound is fine but it is putting lots of these lines constantly into /var/log/messages:
      kernel: ALSA ../alsa-kernel/core/pcm_lib.c:182: Unexpected hw_pointer value (stream = 0, delta: -208, max jitter = 8192): wrong interrupt acknowledge?
      also this at the end when you quit:
      ALSA ../alsa-kernel/core/pcm_lib.c:61: BUG? (runtime->silence_filled <= runtime->buffer_size) (called from c376e12c)

Also getting these messages constantly if you enable full duplex in KDE artsd. Sound still runs fine though:
      kernel: ALSA ../alsa-kernel/core/pcm_lib.c:182: Unexpected hw_pointer value (stream = 0, delta: -387, max jitter = 8192): wrong interrupt acknowledge?
      kernel: ALSA ../alsa-kernel/core/pcm_lib.c:182: Unexpected hw_pointer value (stream = 1, delta: -643, max jitter = 8192): wrong interrupt acknowledge?

• J. Gordon Wolfe

J. Gordon Wolfe - 2003-10-26

Best place for feedback is probably the openvortex mailing list.  The devs check here every once in a while, but afaik not on a daily basis.

Anyway, I can tell you that there's no MIDI sequencer support in the driver right now, so if you play a MIDI file you're not going to hear anything w/o timidity or similar.  I believe the MIDI port is *supposed* to work, so I guess if you had an external synth you should be able to play midi through it.

I dunno about the reversed channels.  Doesn't happen to me.

The "Unexpected hw_pointer value" business is a known issue, but last I knew its not clear that its a bug within the au88x0 driver and not with ALSA itself.  Only a few people seem to have it so far.  So the devs know about it, but don't have a fix yet.

• Manuel Jander

Manuel Jander - 2003-10-29

Hi,

It seems that there is something severely broken on your computer. I would suggest a fresh kernel install (download the vanilla kernel from www.kernel.org) since i have seen very strange things happening on SuSE kernels. Usually using the vanilla kernel solves a lot of problems (if configured in a sane fashion of course).

The MPU401 MIDI output works well. The warnings are some timing issues, but they are harmless. I tested it on a Yamaha DB50XG. The Wavetable header and  the external connector are one single MPU401 interface (connected together).

If you enabled the DEBUG option of ALSA, disable it, since there are some very picky debug sentences that don't make any sense, and only fill up your harddrive with useless logs messages.

If the problems persists, please post on the OpenVortex developer list, or on the savannah site:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/openvortex/

Thank you

Ahh... i forgot some smilies :D:D:D:D:D :) ;)

• bunker

bunker - 2003-12-23

I've installed alsa driver but sometimes i got a "crshkchhdfhsdsdfdsdfdsfsdf" sound :) It's a problem. I got best sound with au8830 module of this CVS!!

Is it only my problem?

The sound with alsa is very disturbed, with the module is more clean.

I've 2.4.23 kernel and all the setting are properly setted! (like arts for example)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks