Kernel 2.6.5, AU8810, Debian, No Sound

Help
2004-04-11
2004-09-02
  • Thomas M Hughes

Thomas M Hughes - 2004-04-11

Short summary: Put in 2.6.5 kernel from debian's kernel-source package, enabled 8810 module, and I have no sound.

Things I have done:
    - Checked that the module was loaded.
    - Checked that the speakers and the cable from the card to the speaker work
    - Checked that the cable was plugged into the right port
    - Checked that ALSA was unmuted for the master (and every other volumn as well)
    - Tried playing sound in XMMS under ALSA (it doesn't give an error, pretends like it's playing, but there is no sound).
    - Tried playing with aplay and alsaplayer, again, pretends like it's playing, but no sound.
    - Played with volumn settings some more, and managed to get audio for the CD input, but nothing else.
    - Gave up with the au8810 and put the Esoniq 1371 back in, and had no problems with it.

I tried searching online, and another forum suggested that it may be the alsa-utils version.  The current Debian unstable is 1.0.3b, where the current from the ALSA project is 1.0.4.  I suppose that could be a problem, but I'd like to avoid building new alsa packages if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions?

• Anonymous - 2004-05-01

I have the same problem with 2.6.5 in slackware current and alsa-utils 1.0.4.

I get the following errors during kernel boot-up

Vortex: init.... <3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<3>bad adb fifo reset!<6>done.
      vortex: revision = 0x2, device = 3
      vortex: Erratum workaround enabled.
      vortex: IRQ reg error

• Manuel Jander

Manuel Jander - 2004-09-02

That bug was fixed a couple of month ago. The current ALSA release should work fine.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks