(Acer laptop, Win XP, also desktop, Win Vista, Audacity 1.3.13 beta,
downloaded from Sourceforge))
I installed Audacity on a "virgin" Acer laptop running XP - it worked
instantly, allowing me to dictate - good work, guys!
BUT despite following the instructions carefully and repeatedly, it totally
refuses to "find" LAME. (Sorry, can't remember which sie I downloaded LAME
from - I just clicked the link in the Audacity manual).
So I installed Audacity on another virgin machine, a desktop running Vista.
But this time I COPIED the contents of the Lame for Audacity folder on
another computer which is running Audacity successfully (my HP530 laptop),
into a similar directory I made on the desktop. Preferences, Libraries,
Locate, browse to the folder - bingo! Everything works.
I would like to suggest two improvements which would help us resolve this
(1) If Audacity encounters a corrupt version of lame_enc.dll, it should say
so! At present it just says "not found", leaving the user mystified. This
is as bad as the infuriating Linux habit of saying "command not found", when
the problem is actually permissions.
(2) When Audacity is pointed to the location of lame_enc.dll, it should
signify that it has found and accepted the location and the file. At
present one presses "locate", browses to the location, presses OK ... and
nothing changes! The button still offers "locate". The only way to see if
Audacity has actually found it is to encode a track.
Obviously, it would also be nice to have some way of "clearing" the path, so
that Audacity doesn't look in previously stored locations instead of the
latest one offered.
Forgive the criticism - it's an excellent program. Tony
Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.