I thought that some Jeff's points were pretty valid and decided to
take a more complete "look" at possibility of menu structure
Attached text file contains my proposal and here are several notes to it.
1. Audacity is a pretty much tracks oriented software. But currently
it has both "Project" and "File" menus which could be partly happily
merged. This is why I suggest to rename "Project" menu to "Tracks"
menu and reorganise it.
2. "File" menu already had too many entries. We can decrease their
amount by just introducing submenus and reorganizing order of
appearance of menu items (top->bottom).
3. "Edit" menu is pretty fine, except Snap-To could be turned to a
checkbox. I'm still unsure whether this menu item should rather belong
to View menu, but I'm personally happy with it being part of Edit menu
4. "View" menu is okay too, except a) please please please move PLot
Spectrum to Analyze menu :))) b) in the future "History..." could
become a sidebar instead of a dialog (with no "Close" button)
5. I suggest adding "..." to both "Silence" and "White Noise" menu
items, because both require further user interaction.
6. I agree with Jeff about "BassBoost", so here goes the change:
"Boost Bass Frequencies..."
7. If "Run benchmark" is important for a release, let it be. Otherwise
I would remove it or leave as ./configure toggleable option.
Another idea will follow in a separate email.
Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.