Menu

No Plate Solution

2021-05-04
2021-06-07
  • Elliott Brooks

Elliott Brooks - 2021-05-04

I downloaded ASTAP a few days ago, with H18. For some reason, most of the time plate solving is not working.
    Just says No solution found. I make sure the coordinates entered are accurate. I've tried it on images of M20, NGC7000. It did work on NGC 6188, but I saw that the header already had RA and DEC. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Elliott

• han.k

han.k - 2021-05-04

I need the link. Without a link I can not retrieve it. Can you upload again and give me the link to download it?

Regards, Han

• han.k

han.k - 2021-05-04

Okay I found by browsing the image at nova.astrometry.net at:
    https://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/4610024#annotated

It solves in ASTAP with an image height at 0.67 degrees. Looking to the header, the image pixel size is missing in the original FITS header. You have to enter a image height of 0,67 degrees or select auto for image height in tab alignment.

Try 0.67 degree and see if it works for the other images.

Han

• Elliott Brooks

Elliott Brooks - 2021-05-05

Ah, yes, that works for this and other images. Thanks. I will use the
      Auto setting.

I use the Image Inspector. Once
      it is enabled, is there a way to disable it, or go back to teh original
      image without exiting ASTAP?

Also, I see the tilt in the image. Would I be able to use the inspector
      to adjust my equipment - say tighten some screws holding the camera in
      place, or whatever? Is that the intention of the inspector?

regards,

Elliott

Last edit: han.k 2021-05-05
  • Jeff Rothstein

Jeff Rothstein - 2021-06-06

Hi Han. I've been reading through the discussions here and have a similar problem--ASTAP consistently returned a message of "no plate solution found" last night when the scope was pointing directly at M57 and NINA was providing accurate coordinates in the FITS header. Astrometry.net solved each image. Here is a sample image (which also fails for me when I try solving it directly with ASTAP): https://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/4731216#annotated. Last night I had similar problems with ASPS, which I've now addressed by using the calculated FL of my telescope (a 50mm f4.8 guidescope for now). The correct FL based on data from the linked solution, is 206mm, not 240mm. I don't see a way to fix that in ASTAP. Am I right that I need to fix it in NINA and then take some fresh images? And if there's a setting I'm missing, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Jeff

• Jeff Rothstein

Jeff Rothstein - 2021-06-06

Hi Han. Let me add a fresh bit of data. I scanned through my FITS images from last night, picked the few best and stacked them in DeepSkyStacker (with the few darks I took). I converted the result to a PNG file and ASTAP solved it in .2 seconds. Why would that work when none of the FITS files did? Thanks again, Jeff

Last edit: Jeff Rothstein 2021-06-06
  • han.k

han.k - 2021-06-07

Hello Jeff,

Yes solving fails. What I see is a lot of hot pixels in the image. This confuses ASTAP. Is it possible that the ASI120 was pretty warm? What I also would suggest is to set the camera gain lower. From 55 to unity gain 29. This will give you a better dynamic range and less saturated stars and better images.

ASI120 images are more problematic for solving What probably could help is applying a dark prior to solving. These can be setup to work automatic. Can you give me a few darks of 10 or 20 seconds for testing. You could upload them zipped to https://ufile.io/ and give me the link?

Han

• han.k

han.k - 2021-06-07

The gain for dark and light should be the same. Better to make both new with gain 29.

• Jeff Rothstein

Jeff Rothstein - 2021-06-07

Many thanks, Han. Yes, summer has arrived in Arizona and it was about 36C when I set up the scope the other night. I took a few darks that night and will upload them as you suggest.

Jeff

• han.k

han.k - 2021-06-07

Okay that works. The ASI120 image solves now. But there is a bug in ASTAP using darks for solving. I have to fix that first.

The lights are from a different camera, ASI183MC . They solve if you set the image height to 2 degrees in tab alignment after loading the image in ASTAP. Unfortunately ZWO writes with the solution wrong parameters in the header which changes the image height to 8 degrees. I have to complain to ZWO about this.

More later.

Han

• han.k

han.k - 2021-06-07

Hello Jeff,

Okay calibration prior to solving is now fixed. Download and install this development version 0.9.549:
    http://www.hnsky.org/astap_setup.exe

Just start ASTAP program and do the following:

1) Load with the viewer menu "File" an image to solve (from the ASI 120).
    2) Go to the stack menu (CTRL+A) and go to tab darks. Select a few dark files.
    3) Go to tab "Alignment". Check mark "Calibrate prior to solving"
    4) Check if image " Field of View (height)" is around 1 degrees as in the screenshot. If not, a value is not accurate in the Nina settings. I think it will display 0.86. Then set in NINA your focal length at 206 mm instead of 240 mm.
    5) Hit the "Solve"button. The image should now be solved. This will also save the settings.

Now try again with Nina and tell me if this works for you.

Han

Last edit: han.k 2021-06-07
  • Jeff Rothstein

Hi Han, thanks very much. When I follow the steps above (adding 5 darks), I get an error message, copy attached. I clicked OK and then have been watching an endless blue spinning circle.

Best,

Jeff

• Jeff Rothstein

Hi Han, thanks very much. When I follow the steps above (adding 5 darks), I get an error message, copy attached. I clicked OK and then have been watching an endless blue spinning circle.

Best,

Jeff

• han.k

han.k - 2021-06-07

Strange, can you zip the darks and upload it to https://ufile.io/ and give me the link?

Does it also happen if you first in the tab "Dark" hit button analyse?
    Try also one or two darks. Maybe one is damaged.

• Jeff Rothstein

Rebooted and now everything works fine. One dark, several darks, master dark, each with various light files. All good, and many thanks! Will do a field trial as soon as I can get outside again.

Best,

Jeff