SMD + animation

2013-12-22
2013-12-24
  • Mike Farrell

Mike Farrell - 2013-12-22

Edit: a better way rephrase this question might be to ask, what are the 3D formats for skeletal animation that the library currently FULLY supports?

Can somebody please tell me when this is going to be properly supported by assimp?

I just busted my ass for 6 hours today creating a skeletal animation using Softimage software, only to find out at the last minute that it won't load properly. Very frustrated today...

Last edit: Mike Farrell 2013-12-22
  • Kim Kulling

Kim Kulling - 2013-12-22

Good question. At first we need to define a proper usecase for evaluation. Let's see. MAybe you can help use here a little bit?

Kimmi

• Mike Farrell

Mike Farrell - 2013-12-23

Sure, now that I've calmed down for my frustration yesterday.
    I managed to find an obscure export feature in softimage to DAE through something called crosswalk.

So now my question boils down to, do you guys fully support skeletal animation loading from DAE? Let me host the file with animation (which works properly for the most part in preview for mac)

http://vertostudio.com/pub/dae.zip

Ideally it'd work with the first file which preview hangs up on but ironically it looks PERFECT in quicklook ("perfect" used loosely still since I suck at animating, but correct), but the second one with pre-rendered animation steps would be acceptable too.

Last edit: Mike Farrell 2013-12-23
  • Alexander Gessler

The dae2/ folder works fine with current assimp, including animation. The dae/ fails with an error message related to an <extra> collada element. Will investigate!

Please keep in mind that, while I can totally see that it is frustrating to invest time for void, assimp is volunteer work and no one ever claimed full SMD support (see website). It would be awesome though if you could help improving it.

Best, Alex

• Mike Farrell

Mike Farrell - 2013-12-24

I understand. Thanks a ton Alex! Someday I would like to help the project and maybe add support for Verto Studio file format!